I was hit by a van on Wilmslow Rd 8am Today, Advice Needed Pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Afternoon all

at 8am I was hit by a WVM, put on a spinal board, neck brace the works and taken to hospital, looks like I got off pretty lightly, the driver has been hit with a charge of "Driving Without Due Care And Attention"

My question relates to my bike, its my 2 day old Cube, and the top tube is pretty bent, first off is it safe to ride like this ? (Pic below) and secondly with it being so new should I be looking to claim for a new frame ? or can it be repaired ?

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Many Thanks (and to al those that stoppped to help)

Guvnor

Hope your OK and with regards to the bike, i would put in a claim for a new frame as its brand new and you never know if anything else will go wrong with it later on. 2 days old? thats a pain in the arse. Good that the drivers been chrged.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Flaming heck.......................

That's a minimum of a new frame - probably a new bike really due to age - 2 days...gutted.

Are you OK ? - not been a good run for accident's - that's your second hospital visit this year ?

BenScoobert

new bike without a doubt, even if you will settle for a new frame, you start at a new bike and let them think they haggled you back to a frame, remember insurance companies are as low as banks and will play dirty

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Hope your OK and with regards to the bike, i would put in a claim for a new frame as its brand new and you never know if anything else will go wrong with it later on. 2 days old? thats a pain in the arse. Good that the drivers been chrged.

Im pretty beat up TBH but thanks.

Yeah thats what I suspected !

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Flaming heck.......................

That's a minimum of a new frame - probably a new bike really due to age - 2 days...gutted.

Are you OK ? - not been a good run for accident's - that's your second hospital visit this year ?

Tell me about it

Gutted doesnt come close mate :sad:

Im beat up TBH, as scred to death too, January was down to the snow, this was down to a bleedin idiot !!!

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
new bike without a doubt, even if you will settle for a new frame, you start at a new bike and let them think they haggled you back to a frame, remember insurance companies are as low as banks and will play dirty

Yeah good point, but is it safe to ride in the mean time ?

BenScoobert

I don't know about that, I'm too new to biking.

Remember to claim for everything that was damaged in the crash, handle bar scuffs, seat scratch, everything plus labour to fit it all. I'm sure your LBS will do you an insurance quote for all the work.

djb1971

Legendary Member
it might be gutting about the bike Gaz but they are replacable, your life isn't. At least you are ok(ish) and have the use of your limbs etc!!

Join the CTC and get the solicitors onto it if you have any bother getting the bike fixed.

Eek! :ohmy: Really sorry to hear about your crash! It sounds like a shocker. After you have had time to get over the initial shock etc maybe you can come back and gives us more details.

As has already been mentioned get on to the lawyers (CTC, or other) and get them on the case. Make sure any and all injuries and any problems down he line are well documented, by visits to the GP etc.

As for the bike....I must admit I wouldn't ride it. Also if you are wanting to claim it is a right off, which I think it is, should you really be riding it, from a legal perspective?

Get better soon!!

siadwell

Guru
Yeah good point, but is it safe to ride in the mean time ?

You might want to consider whether continuing to ride the bike could prejudice your claim to a new frame rather than repair. If it's still rideable, is it repairable?

Edit: Doh, Magnatom beat me to it!

Glad you survived and best wishes on a speedy recovery.

I'd be looking for a complete new bike, not just a new frame. It's hard to tell what else may have been damaged. Are the wheels still 100% true, saddle ok, seatpost not bent, rear mech not damaged, even gear cables kinked and handlebars not skewed.

And I wouldn't say it was safe to ride at the moment, plus by riding it you're indicating that the damage was minor and possibly repairable which it's not.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Holy s*** Gaz! Sorry to read this.:sad:

My advice - DO NOT ride it! A dent like that could be prone to aluminium failure (have had a frame do this and a stem on me handlebars after various damage caused parts to fail - luckily both times I escaped unscathed so I wouldnt want to see you take the same risk). You also need to check the handlebars as they could have internal damage from flexing

With regards insurance - his insurer should replace the whole bike, imo its tough luck - if they quibble over the cost of the bike then they should raise the guys insurance, after all from what you say it sounds like he acted like a bit of a pleb. And on that basis why not consider claiming for personal injury? Obviously up to you.

If you're with the CTC or BC then try and use their legal peeps. If not then you could use them privately.

Hope you heal up ok! Take it easy and dont let the b***ers put you off! :wacko:

Top Bottom