I wish...!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MilkRace

This is nothing more than out of general interest.

Just wondering what bike you wish you had?

Is there a particular bike you always wanted to own but never got, or perhaps one you had but for whatever reason you now no longer own?

Personally I wish I had kept my Freddie Grubb track bike, but sadly for the life of me I cannot remember where it went or why.

As for one I wished for?

Back when I was a kid there was competition on the back of a breakfast cereal, not sure which cereal now, and the prize was an all chrome bike signed (I think) by the great Tom Simpson. Having entered more times than was healthy for a kid who now ate breakfast cereal at every meal, I was convinced I was going to win. I so much wanted this bike.

Sadly and 60 years later, I'm still waiting for the postman to knock on the door, but I live in hope....!

hoopdriver

Guru
I wish I had my first bike - or could even remember more accurately what model it was. What I remember is that it was a clunky Eisenhower-Era Schwinn single speed, two-tone green and cream, with 20-inch balloon tyres, chain guard, metal fenders and a chrome headlamp - I can still see the flecks of rust on it. My mother bought it for me second-hand in the spring of 1965. I was seven years old, or just about to be. We had no money and I although I wanted a bicycle very much I never dreamed of actually owning one. It was a girls bike - that was just what was available at the price she could afford to pay - but I couldn't have cared less. I can still remember the disbelief when I came home for school and saw it parked in the driveway, just like a car - I wondered whose it was and was thrilled beyond belief to discover it was mine. I rode it everywhere for the next 4-5 years and eventually (the money situation having improved) traded up to a Stingray. I wish I still had that old clunker or at least knew the model name, or even had any pictures of me on it. I have looked through old Schwinn catalogues and company histories, scoured pictures on eBay and Pininterest and seen several different models that it could have been but nothing certain. I certainly treasured that bike. Would love to have it back...

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I want a Karate Monkey. I want to be able to laugh at all the snow and ice that currently keeps me indoors (and it is snowing yet again)! Also they are quite stylish in purple, my brother's friend has a beautiful one with the most gloriously chunky tires :wub:

Edited to add picture of said Monkey. Apparently he is going to turn her into a single gear drop bar bike. Why? She is a thint of beauty just as is!

Attachments

• Monkey.jpg
    Monkey.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Me and Mrs Dave hanker after one of these...

http://cyfac.fr/leduocarbone/

View attachment 394201
:eek: I bet that shifts !
What do you think the top speed would be ? Given that i can hit 50mph on my own ( downhill ) thats got to do well over 60mph :laugh:

Top Bottom