I Wouldn't Buy One

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Serge

Über Member
Hmm, it does look a bit odd, but I suspect that it is a perfectly sensible setup. Give me a few minutes ...

Ok, with a bit of photo-manipulation, I give you 'My bike with the Planet X bike superimposed'!

View attachment 425504

Most of the apparently stupidly extended seatpost is due to the compact design of the Planet X frame. I have my saddle slightly nose-down for comfort. If I had the saddle level it would only be about an inch below the Planet X's saddle. Note - I have short legs for my height - only 32", which is not a lot for someone who is 6' 1" tall. If I had legs more in proportion to my torso, I would easily need my saddle as high as the Planet X bike's!
Excellent illustration, but it kind of reinforces the point @Drago made. That Planet X bike's frame is more likely to fail than yours.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Excellent illustration, but it kind of reinforces the point @Drago made. That Planet X bike's frame is more likely to fail than yours.
My bike certainly seems to be robust for lightweight aluminium. I have been riding it for 16 years at weights up to 17-and-a-bit stone and it is still soldiering on!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Brompton would give you an argument.

The seat tube/seat stay junction of which @Drago speaks is not even welded on a Brommie - it flops about.

The rear triangle is tiny, and the amount of exposed seat post could double as a broom handle.

Nothing to suggest Brommies are anything other than robust.

Serge

Über Member
My bike certainly seems to be robust for lightweight aluminium. I have been riding it for 16 years at weights up to 17-and-a-bit stone and it is still soldiering on!
If that's the same bike that's in your avatar then it looks a perfect fit. I think with the Planet X, 90% of my weight would be on my arms and shoulders.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
When I bought my last road bike, I was actually asked how much seat post I wanted exposed when trying one for size.

I'm a 'M' (53cm), but was advised to drop down to an 'S' (51cm?) if I wanted to ride with more seat post showing....fashion, eh? :rolleyes:

I bought the 'M'.

simon.r

Person
Unless your height is more towards leg than torso as is the case for lots of women

And some men, me included!

It’s taken me a while, but I’ve eventually come to the conclusion that top tube length is the most important measurement on a frame. I have bikes with seat tubes between 56cm and 65cm, but they all have similar top tube lengths.

Some have lots of seat post exposed, others less. I’ve not broken a frame yet (touches wood^_^).

Last edited:
Top Bottom