I Wouldn't Buy One

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Unless your height is more towards leg than torso as is the case for lots of women

In which case buy the proper frame size and fit a shorter stem.

Mr 'Bambi' Celine

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Hmm, it does look a bit odd, but I suspect that it is a perfectly sensible setup. Give me a few minutes ...

Ok, with a bit of photo-manipulation, I give you 'My bike with the Planet X bike superimposed'!

View attachment 425504

Most of the apparently stupidly extended seatpost is due to the compact design of the Planet X frame. I have my saddle slightly nose-down for comfort. If I had the saddle level it would only be about an inch below the Planet X's saddle. Note - I have short legs for my height - only 32", which is not a lot for someone who is 6' 1" tall. If I had legs more in proportion to my torso, I would easily need my saddle as high as the Planet X bike's!
Be interesting to see how that compares to a TT bike .

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I can see why people think frames like this will break into a 1000 pieces every time it hits a pebble because the press and the net is absolutely snide out with horror stories of carbon fibre frames and parts failing all the time. Even on here there's thread after thread saying " I was nearly killed by carbon fibre" , you can hardly wade through them all to find the 'good old days' threads we all love and cherish.

Maybe we should all steal steel bikes from skips , that'll put a stop to all this bike industry progress masquerading as progress.

for selective quoting please see below.

Drago

Legendary Member
Short stems affect handling

No they do not - wheelbase, rake, trail and castor remain unaffected by stem length, and it is these measurements that affect hamdling. Short stems effect feel, but the bikes behaviour for any given amount of steering input (ie, degrees of movement around the steering axis) remains utterly unaltered.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
Mines Alum, I had a pothole destroy a rear wheel, but the frame checked out fine.

I have no issue with mine comfort wise, I don’t have the seatpost into the stratosphere though.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's ugly as sin and the frame material doesn't fit the design. If you're using carbon fibre then for pity's sake stop effing about with tubes and build a proper monocoque.

Planet X are rubbish anyway.

faster

Über Member
Wow - so much negativity and conjecture from people who are, if you don't mind my saying so, unlikely to have a clue what they are talking about.

It's not easy or wise to just guess how structurally sound something is by just looking at it, as it's quite likely you'll come to the wrong conclusion. As this a replacement for their best selling bike, so probably extremely important to them, I think I'd trust Planet X to have got this right.

I confess, I have two bikes from Planet X that I've been extremely happy with, so I'm probably a little biased. One of them is an old Pro Carbon, which to my eye is even more compact than the new version, and mine (I'm 6'4 on a bike with 56cm seat tube) probably has more seat tube showing than the one pictured above - it hasn't broken. Actually, I think it's rare to hear of Pro Carbons breaking, and there seem to be plenty of them out there.

I think it's a fantastic looking bike and disappointingly for all the people that love to hate Planet X, it'll probably have the performance to match.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Well, you're lucky that you're so light. A heavier rider like me could have problems.
Can't see weight limit on their site for this bike, but the RT58 that I had gave a recommended maximum rider weight of 100kg, which is just over 15.5 stone in old money. Those of us at the upper end of the height spectrum need to be thin as lats to get under that weight :okay:

Top Bottom