I Wouldn't Buy One

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't claim to be an engineer though I have had some training in the subject, but this looks like a poor design to me. That rear triangle is structurally unsound IMO, particularly if you have this much seat post exposed.

unnamed.jpg

rugby bloke

Veteran
I don't get the whole thing about exposing miles of seat post - fashion or function ?

vickster

Legendary Member
I think if your seat is that high on a road bike then you should think about going up a frame size!
Unless your height is more towards leg than torso as is the case for lots of women

However, I think that one is likenthat as the PX marketing and design folks think it ‘looks better’

Slick

Guru
I think it applies to everything.

I don't claim to be an engineer though I have had some training in the subject, but this looks like a poor design to me. That rear triangle is structurally unsound IMO, particularly if you have this much seat post exposed.

View attachment 425467
surely you just need to check the insertion mark on the seatpost - if that's inside the tube you should be OK. I have a couple of bikes with mega exposed seatpost - though skipdiver is giving me doubts :smile:

I agree with the general drift of your post though - there seems to be a need to tinker with the classic traingle/produce different frames just for the hell of it. Always strikes me as a desperate attempt to add value. I like things simple.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not so keen on the exposed seat post thing. All the frame failures I've seen in recent years have been at the crossbar-seat tube junction, where these long seat tubes apply their leverage. Having the seat stays a few inches lower removes support from that junction, and provides a point for everything to pivot backwards arond. Not my idea of fun.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmm, it does look a bit odd, but I suspect that it is a perfectly sensible setup. Give me a few minutes ...

Ok, with a bit of photo-manipulation, I give you 'My bike with the Planet X bike superimposed'!

Bike comparison.jpg

Most of the apparently stupidly extended seatpost is due to the compact design of the Planet X frame. I have my saddle slightly nose-down for comfort. If I had the saddle level it would only be about an inch below the Planet X's saddle. Note - I have short legs for my height - only 32", which is not a lot for someone who is 6' 1" tall. If I had legs more in proportion to my torso, I would easily need my saddle as high as the Planet X bike's!

Top Bottom