Ian May rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Nice :becool:, bars are at a bit of a funny angle for me though.

Genuine question - how are they supposed to be? :laugh: I bought the bars and stem together on eBay and left them exactly as they arrived as I had no idea what angle they should be at :laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You’re not riding it^_^

That’s how those style of bars were ridden, the bottoms parallel to the ground, quite different to the modern drops where we tend to have the tops out to the hoods parallel to the ground.

Great job OP!
I've been riding this bike since 1974 and have been it's custodian since 76 (It belongs to my cousin Graham really,

DSCN0110.JPG

The handlebars are set so that when I'm 'on the drops' my wrists are straight, my normal hand position then (as now) is to have my palms on the bend with the thumb pointed forwards as can be seen on the wear to the bartape of my Eguipe.

DSCN0179.JPG

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That’s how those style of bars were ridden, the bottoms parallel to the ground, quite different to the modern drops where we tend to have the tops out to the hoods parallel to the ground.

I've always ridden drop-bar bikes with the bar top flat and the drops at an angle. It reduces the reach to the hoods and is more comfortable on the arms. The OP has also got the bars set lower than would be normal for a non-racing rider. Normal set-up was anywhere from bars and saddle level, to bars about an inch or so lower. If the bars are set at a sensible height then the drops are more useable without doing your back in!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I will say though. irrespective of the bars set-up, the result is absolutely stunning and is a credit to its owner. No modern stuff will ever equal the good looks of classic steel.

T4tomo

Guru
I've been riding this bike since 1974 and have been it's custodian since 76 (It belongs to my cousin Graham really,

View attachment 470693

The handlebars are set so that when I'm 'on the drops' my wrists are straight, my normal hand position then (as now) is to have my palms on the bend with the thumb pointed forwards as can be seen on the wear to the bartape of my Eguipe.

View attachment 470694
Different style of drop bars to those on the Ian May if you look carefully.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.

RamoRuon

I've seen this spray.bike paint .... Has anyone used this before?

Yeah, I've posted my experience with it elsewhere. Long story short, stick with their matte colours, if you're keen on buying from them.

It's a lot more work than you think.

And as chriswoody says, the results are not always what you hoped for, so be prepared for additional costs (especially if you're on a budget).

Top Bottom