Ibuprofen tablets, not so good!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

Two months ago I managed to rip the rotary cuff half off the shoulder bone. Couldn’t get a doctors appointment to get strong pain killers so resorted to Ibuprofen, like you do🤷‍♂️
I’ve been struggling getting up the steep hills, my legs seemed ok, but I could not get enough oxygen in and the heart rate was right up to 168bpm.
A couple off weeks ago I went to donate some blood and they refused my offering due to low iron in my blood. It turns out that Ibuprofen zaps the iron cells that are required to carry the oxygen around your body.
A nurse phoned me the other day and it came up in her questions, what pain killers I’m taking? I was told to bin the Ibuprofen and only use paracetamol.
I’ve never realised that taking a simple pain killer can have such adverse effects on the body. The heart rate is now back to a comfortable 157 on the same hills😎

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ibuprofen for two months ? Blimey. It's fine short term, but that's it. They also stop bone healing too (my spinal surgeon told me).

NSAIDS do work quite well, but any long term use may need the stomach tablets Omeprazole

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ibuprofen can be MUCH worse than that if you over-use it without protection...

A friend nearly died after heavy use of Ibuprofen for a few weeks gave him a stomach ulcer which (fortunately for him!) perforated immediately after he flew home from holiday. If it had happened on the plane instead he probably would have died, given that he needed over 4 pints of blood after being rushed to hospital here.

:eek:

OP
OP
CAESAR AVGVSTVS

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

Ibuprofen for two months ? Blimey. It's fine short term, but that's it. They also stop bone healing too (my spinal surgeon told me).

NSAIDS do work quite well, but any long term use may need the stomach tablets Omeprazole

This is what can happen if you can’t get a doctors appointment 🤷‍♂️
I ended up paying privately for the operation next Wednesday.
NHS was 18 month wait !

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
This is what can happen if you can’t get a doctors appointment 🤷‍♂️
I ended up paying privately for the operation next Wednesday.
NHS was 18 month wait !

indeed , i had the same issue with my collar bone as the fracture clinic kept telling me to come back next week and see how it was going even though it was broke it 2 places .I have a good healthcare plan through work and was sorted asap .
I have waited nearly 11 months just to see a consultant about my reynauds .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ibuprofen etc is generally for inflammation - works great short term (helped my knees for a few days after a stupidly long ride). One thing my GP recommended (after back injury), is take a smaller dose of paracetamol, but more regular, so instead of 2 tablets every 4 hours, (max 8 a day) take one every two to give a more stable pain killing effect.

Glad you are getting it 'fixed' but the NHS is in a bit of a mess currently.

OP
OP
CAESAR AVGVSTVS

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

There is a bonus to my problem, my Surgeon said I have arthritis that’s putting pressure on the main ligament. He said he will sort that out whilst he’s re attaching the rotary cuff tendon ❤️
best of luck getting yourself sorted out cyberknight 👍

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As for paracetamol (and other such drugs)...

My brother-in-law took a lot of it for migraines. They got worse over the years. It turned out that excessive paracetamol use can give you headaches!!! I kid you not (PDF download)... :wacko:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
There is a bonus to my problem, my Surgeon said I have arthritis that’s putting pressure on the main ligament. He said he will sort that out whilst he’s re attaching the rotary cuff tendon ❤️
best of luck getting yourself sorted out cyberknight 👍

sounds similar to my thumb , joint knackered so i have bad tendonitis in the thumb with swelling on the wrist . Surgery 21st june

As for paracetamol (and other such drugs)...

My brother-in-law took a lot of it for migraines. They got worse over the years. It turned out that excessive paracetamol use can give you headaches!!! I kid you not (PDF download)... :wacko:

I had that
I got a sudden massive headache while in the shower one day
the massive bit died down after a few hours but there remained a really bad headache.
Doctor told me to use max dose of paracetamol and ibuprofen - which carried on for several weeks - I do take omeprazole as well anyway

This carried on for quite a while - in spite of several trips to the doctor

In the end I read about analgesic induced headaches and decided to stop them - in spite of still having bad headaches towards the end of each dose - especially the paracetomol

That fixed it - by the end the headaches were actually being CAUSED by the pain killers which had initially been blocking it

Top Bottom