Ice on the road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Fellow Commuters (or in fact anyone who rides in the cold hours).Be warned.... Black Ice has reached as far south as London.

Admittedly, as the streets are paved with Gold down here, its a little easier to see but I was caught out yesterday Morning when my front wheel just "went" from under whilst I braked gently, on a straight, for a bend...all very low speed and I kept it upright, but put my back out a bit keeping balance.

Never lost it due to ice before, was a bit shocked.

Keep safe out there and perhaps stick to the busy roads.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Glad you're OK and avoided a spill.

Must admit I was planning to get out for a couple of hours tomorrow morning, but having seen the forecast I'm having second thoughts...:cold:
Sub-zero temperatures until lunchtime(!) and a yellow warning for ice means that going out on a road bike with semi-slick tyres might be "interesting" on mainly ungritted country roads.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I read the weather report every day for cycling

Braved it today though its time for my commute change from a bicycle to the train

Its just not worth it, be careful people

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Really? :eek: My winter schooldays out in the countryside were spent wondering which corner I was going to be sliding off on when, not if :laugh: How different London is! ;)

Back then, I only had one bike, so gritted routes as much as possible, lower tyre pressures, no sudden movements and if I thought I might be on ice, go straight and pray... worked most of the time. Now I can borrow a MTB with wide studded tyres if I need to go out when ice is likely.

When I fell on an icy corner a couple of years ago and slid down the road, it was upsetting because that was my first (and still only) new new bike and it had never really crashed that badly before, but generally I was like a bowl of petunias: "Oh no, not again" ;)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF_GO5Pnpk0

Last edited:
It was all over the place this morning. I employed the 'spot ice, pedal like mad, stop pedalling, and hang on for dear life' approach. I got a couple of wide slides, but didn't hit the deck:laugh:.

crazyjoe101

I was out last night with a clubmate and when we got up the hills there was a fair amount of ice. "Be careful, there's ice" he says as he flies off down the hill as I follow at about half the speed, I'm not very good at corners at the best of times!

Fellow Commuters (or in fact anyone who rides in the cold hours).Be warned.... Black Ice has reached as far south as London.

Admittedly, as the streets are paved with Gold down here, its a little easier to see but I was caught out yesterday Morning when my front wheel just "went" from under whilst I braked gently, on a straight, for a bend...all very low speed and I kept it upright, but put my back out a bit keeping balance.

Keep safe out there and perhaps stick to the busy roads.
Seems that black ice has migrated 150 miles south since i came off in West Bromwich on Wednesday:cold:

Hyslop

Veteran
Glad youre OK,I had this bright idea,given the sunny start to the day,that I might take the bike out this afternoon.Then, I slipped as I walked out of the gate and onto the path-perhaps not then thinks I. Take care,you have much more in the way of traffic to contend with th:okay:an I and we could do with you staying with us

Buck

Guru
I've decided no outdoor rides this weekend :sad:

Zwift + Turbo Trainer = :smile: Happy :smile:

(So glad I bought the TT and using it even more than I thought I would)

Top Bottom