Ice on the road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DWiggy

Über Member
Mainly use the rear brake when possible ice, when that front goes...it just goes, your on the deck before you know what happened!

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
-3 here atm , roads still ungritted .
Popped down to collect a parcel from the post office and the car park was an ice rink.
The problem then tends to be motorists who persist in driving on the stuff. I was once walking (with sharp hill walkingstick) downhill past a crossroads that was completely iced over - really obvious compacted polished snow, white and shiny - where a taxi driver was attempting to turn right and going nowhere but giving it the beans and spinning like crazy. If his tyres had bitten at any point, pedestrians would probably have been seriously injured. Fortunately, he gave it a rest before that happened and slowly slid off into a verge where he was pushed out.

U

User33236

I read the weather report every day for cycling.
I read the weather too, on Wednesday moring; even went out to kept roads were ok.

Well they were ok till I was turning right 200 metres from my home. It was then that I hit black ice and came down. Still couldn't clearly see the ice on the road when I got back up.

Whilst at the hospital on Wednesday, and again yesterday, There a handful of other rides who had come off too.

Olease be careful out the everyone.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just not worth it unless you have studs and it is essential that you commute by bike. Apart from yourself, what if a car can't take a bend and takes you out that way.

On the subject of drivers I also find it a bit scary how many don't seem to have a clue how to drive on ice and snow. As said above, you see them sitting spinning with the engine revving its head off and the car going nowhere.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I drove to work yesterday, not something I normally do but I did my metric 50 for the month on Thursday so needed the break. Ride in this morning was ok, frosty on the side roads but the main roads to Heathrow and the perimeter road had all been gritted, good for staying upright, but will need to keep on top of bike cleaning for the next few months.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The first 11 miles of my commute are on main roads normally well used 24 hours a day and gritted. The last 4 are on country lanes which are exposed to the wind with miles of fields either side. They are my favourite until winter strikes. If it is 1.5 degrees on the Garmin when I arrive at the start of the 4 miles by the middle it is below zero. I had been oblivious to this for two years other than feeling a chill on my legs until one year I was cycling merrily on my way and had seen two cars in ditches in the first two miles and that didn't really register. I then turned the corner and there was carnage on the road Police ambulance and four cars the copper waved me to a stop I noticed a slippy surface only at this point and he was amazed I had got down the road or I was even attempting it. I got off the bike and could barely stop myself slipping over.

I now do not ride it if the Garmin is below 2 degrees on the first part, more in fear of the cars than the bike!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
In last year's edition of the Jack&Grace Cotton Memorial Audax near Bristol (which takes place again next week), there were stretches of 1 or 2 km where there was solid ice across the road and it was carnage. 250 cyclists on narrow country lanes with no pavements.

What I remember most from the experience was walking very gingerly at the side of the road, pushing my bike and trying my best not to slip, while a succession of Range Rovers, Landrovers etc all towing horse boxes sped by at 30-40mph in the opposite direction - only about a foot or two away from a procession of highly vulnerable cyclists either cycling or ,like me, walking. I think they might have been late for a hunt or a point to point event..... or something else horsey that was more important than my life. One tumble from any of us and they would have driven straight over us. No doubt about it. Unbelievable disregard for human life.

... or go to extremes

Recumbent trike cycled to the South Pole!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqv2EVoA6fSgE9pCTbhimx7cfj2uVBYCeYWxvqmcvBZldvU2RGAA.jpg

Maria%20ICEland.jpg

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqv2EVoA6fSgE9pCTbhimx7cfj2uVBYCeYWxvqmcvBZldvU2RGAA.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqv2EVoA6fSgE9pCTbhimx7cfj2uVBYCeYWxvqmcvBZldvU2RGAA.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 31
Top Bottom