Ideas to making cycling safer in London and towns and cities up and down the land....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gbola

Advertisement of starving kid - yeah, that'll work, sure. Advert with Johnny Iceberg on his top of the range CF, lycra'd up in Assos - don't think it'll get the sympathy vote really.
I have always had the feeling that cycling have been promoted in this country as a form of recreation mainly rather than as a form of legitimate transportation with added benefit of being green and prolonging life. If the Joe public get to realise this, it will help in modifying their interaction with cyclists. For example it is uncommon for HGV drivers to knock off/push off farm tractors that are doing 10miles per hour on A roads. So why can they extend the same courtesy to cyclists. Education, education.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I have always had the feeling that cycling have been promoted in this country as a form of recreation mainly rather than as a form of legitimate transportation with added benefit of being green and prolonging life. If the Joe public get to realise this, it will help in modifying their interaction with cyclists. For example it is uncommon for HGV drivers to knock off/push off farm tractors that are doing 10miles per hour on A roads. So why can they extend the same courtesy to cyclists. Education, education.
I'll give you 3 guesses.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Cyclist don't damage HGV paintwork as much as tractors!

Gbola

Look some of the money for public awareness campaigns could be raised through cycling activities

Gbola

Cyclist don't damage HGV paintwork as much as tractors!
I do understand the vulnerability of cyclists. However, I would hate to think that the HGV drivers are deliberately going after cyclists rather than due to lack of understanding. One of the great underestimations of the cyclist is his/her speed. Motorists, pedestrians and even cyclists themselves are all culprits of this underestimation. Thus HGV speeding up to overtake and turning left, thinking they would have finished the manoeuvre before the cyclist reach the point. A combination of raising awareness/education and stiff penalty will go a long way

Top Bottom