Identifing Reynolds Frame????????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyp

Hi again everyone.

Am going to look at an old Raleigh racer later today,the guy selling it says the frame is reynolds 501.

Have seen a pic of the bike and sure enough I can make out the reynolds logo.

How can I be sure its a genuine reynolds and not just a reynolds sticker which you can buy on ebay?

Any help on what to look for most appreciated.....

Here is a link to said bike.http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1377053

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Seems extremely unlikely that anyone would go to the trouble. And if they did, surely they'd go for the 501's far more famous (and somewhat more glamorous) brother, 531?

Nope, I'd say that's almost certainly what he says it is. Whether it's worth 100 euros is another question...

battered

Guru
I agree, why mess about with stickers for 100 Eu?

I'd be ringing him up, sucking my teeth about the tyres, complaining thgat he's a bit of a long way away so I've got to travel and making an offer for a bit less, if I liked the look of it.

OP
OP
M

martyp

Well, thats exactly what I did battered.......went to see the bike and made lots of ooh and aaaah noises......frame is in excellent condition ,will make a great fixie.

Ended up getting it for 70 euro......

btw.....its a Raleigh Sirocco.....ever heard of them?

Thanks again guys for the replies.

battered

Guru
That's brilliant for the money. Never heard of a sirocco but they prob had loads of names 30 years ago, all doing similar stuff. Building it inro a fixie sounds like a great way of getting a dead bike back in use.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Result! 70's probably about right for that - 80 would've been reasonable. I'm sure it'll make a very good fixie. Well done!

OP
OP
M

martyp

Ta Swee Pea,Record ace , thats the bike.

Spec is the same apart from it having a 5 speed block at the back...ie its a 10 speed.

Guess it must have been changed at some point.

Top Bottom