Idiot proof recipes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Do you have some devilishly cunning way of stopping stuff sticking to the bottom? When I was young, I had to leave the burned-on remains of a coq au vin out in the back garden for two weeks before the local cats managed to remove the residue.
Proper attention to regularly seasoning the pans and not letting stuff burn!!

Do you have some devilishly cunning way of stopping stuff sticking to the bottom? When I was young, I had to leave the burned-on remains of a coq au vin out in the back garden for two weeks before the local cats managed to remove the residue.
Season cast iron with cooking oil to create a non stick surface

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Season cast iron with cooking oil to create a non stick surface
My experiments thus far suggests lard is the most effective. One seasoning suggestion I found was to bake the pans upside down in the oven, this also seems to work.
Any thoughts from your experience?

johnblack

Über Member
Quick and lazy curry recipe.

Fry onions, garlic and preferred curry spices in a pan, not too hot. (You can blend them if you want when soft, but don't need to) Add desired meat / vegetables. When browned to your liking, add a carton of fresh soup, I like a lentil soup, but works well with carrot and coriander, vegetable soup or the like. Leave to simmer for as long as you want and serve when you're ready.

Maybe the flapjack didn't need so long in the oven, or maybe a smaller tin so it's thicker. Worth experimenting a bit.

All in all sounds like a great success!

Made Flapjack 2.0 this week. I left this one for the suggested time in the oven and it came out a bit crumbly. No problems with taste though.

So next time I'll give it ten minutes longer because I think the sugar cane doesn't have the stickyness of treacle.

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Have you seen the three ingredient cookies in the other thread? Sounds like it might be worth a try too. I expect bananas are available in Germany :smile:

Have you seen Jack Monroe's Cooking on a Bootstrap stuff? It's all intended to be very cheap though there's nothing to stop you using better quality ingredients if you want. Lots of veggie & vegan recipes. There's a lentil bolognaise that I like & have used as the basis for a cottage pie type thing by sticking mashed sweet potato on the top - good comfort food!
That is a great site. Thanks

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Idiot proof dulce de leche or toffee
Put a closed tin of condensed milk in a pot of water (cover it completly)
Put on gentle simmer for 3 hours
Cool down and enjoy

Top Bottom