Idiots on bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This could be a good point to close this thread ... :smile:

I've been searching around for studies into hi-vis clothing and conspicuity of vulnerable road users and there are have been a number of studies done that are worth reading. However, since this thread is over 40 pages long and that information may be somewhat buried away from view would it be possible for me to create a new thread that solely looks at these studies and their various findings? It might even be good to have as a sticky in the Advocacy and Cycling Safety forum.

It is a very complex topic with some lengthy reading to be done but I think it will be worthwhile. I'll post all the links once I've pulled them all together.
(So far the conclusion is that high conspicuity alone does not guarantee detection by another driver, and the colours that may be effective differ by time of day and surrounding environment with some combinations even acting to camouflage).

GC

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
This bit
Cyclists and motorcyclists:

• Recognise the risk of being in a saccade. High contrast clothing and lights help. In particular, flashing LED’s (front and rear) are especially effective for cyclists as they create contrast and the on-off flashing attracts the peripheral vision in the same manner that movement does. There’s nothing wrong with leaving these on during the day. (Especially if they are rechargeable)
  • The relatively slower speed of bicycles means that they will be closer to a point of collision if a vehicle begins to pull into their path. Turn this to advantage – when passing junctions, look at the head of the driver that is approaching or has stopped. The head of the driver will naturally stop and centre upon you if you have been seen. If the driver’s head sweeps through you without pausing, then the chances are that you are in a saccade – you must assume that you have not been seen and expect the driver to pull out!
  • Recognise that with a low sun, a dirty windscreen or one with rain beating against it drivers are likely to have less of a chance of seeing you.
  • Take a cycle training course – this will teach you where you need to be positioned on the road, how to use your eyesight to make sure drivers pay you attention and other useful techniques that can minimise dangers. See: How to make your next bike ride safer than the last.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
ah, so you're cherry picking the bit that supports your POV? There's advice for drivers too... you may have missed it as you quickly skim read the article.
No didn't miss it, all good stuff, but as this is a cycling forum thought the bit concerning CYCLISTS might be appropriate.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd love to, but the farking stuff is everywhere, offending mine eyes (© @GrumpyGregry).
Come to Copenhagen, like Swansea but without the hills, you can live in Amager Strand and look across the water to Sweden* not Swansea as you cycle to a city centre theatre and the three people you see on bikes in hi-viz, which indeed doth offend mine eye, will be British ex-pats and will make up 0.0001% of the cycling population.

*Local joke: What's the worst thing about living in cph? On a clear day you can see Malmo.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
This morning I saw a child's wheelchair with DRLs.

It looked totally badass. :becool:

shoes1anix500.gif
sorted.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Was that before or after you drove straight over it?
Heh :smile:

It's a weird quandary actually. I think DRLs in general are a stupid idea. I think making kids' disability aids cool so they don't mind having to use them is a good idea. So making wheelchairs cool by use of DRLs? I don't know how to feel about it :wacko:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Heh :smile:

It's a weird quandary actually. I think DRLs in general are a stupid idea. I think making kids' disability aids cool so they don't mind having to use them is a good idea. So making wheelchairs cool by use of DRLs? I don't know how to feel about it :wacko:
I think on balance it's better than having them wheeling around with their front fog lights on in all weathers

The real answer is a short skirt!

A friend of mine used to cycle regularly and one Summer went to a Party wearing a short summer dress

She was amazed at how cars slowed down behind her and overtook slowly at a greater clearance

Anecdotally it appears that a finely turned ankle is more effective than hiviz or lights

Tin Pot

Guru
The real answer is a short skirt!

A friend of mine used to cycle regularly and one Summer went to a Party wearing a short summer dress

She was amazed at how cars slowed down behind her and overtook slowly at a greater clearance

Anecdotally it appears that a finely turned ankle is more effective than hiviz or lights

I'll admit sometimes I don't pedal quite so hard.

Remember the hello boys billboards that increased accidents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom