If extraterrestrials landed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Eric Idle had it about right.

View: https://youtu.be/buqtdpuZxvk&t=146

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I can sort of get my head around old technology existing, and possibly even why it seems to have suddenly appeared all around the globe, but for me, a bigger mystery is why it seems to have vanished. Normally, technology advances.
Humanity has a sad habit of over extending itself repeatedly. We are so smart and stupid at so many levels it is a wonder we have got this far. As we know the planet is 4.5 billion years old it is conceivable we have gotten this far before and ballsed it up.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd steer clear of the buggers.

I've seen Mars Attacks.

Although the only way for extraterrestrials to arrive that's not science fiction would likely be microbial blobs in meteorites, like those Martian fossils in the 90s that turned out not to be fossils at all.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'd steer clear of the buggers.

I've seen Mars Attacks.

Although the only way for extraterrestrials to arrive that's not science fiction would likely be microbial blobs in meteorites, like those Martian fossils in the 90s that turned out not to be fossils at all.
Why the only way? We as a civilisation now would seem alien to civilisation say three thousand years ago so what's to say life in other dimensions or in different parts of the universe haven't developed civilisations this advanced or beyond what we can imagine?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Why the only way? We as a civilisation now would seem alien to civilisation say three thousand years ago so what's to say life in other dimensions or in different parts of the universe haven't developed civilisations this advanced or beyond what we can imagine?
Since we're taking this seriously...
If other alien civilisations have evolved, the chances of them evolving in the same several-hundred-thousand-year slot as any other alien civilisation are so staggeringly remote that I don't think a meeting is ever likely to happen. What's more likely is one evolves and becomes extinct, then a hundred-millennia later, another evolves and becomes extinct, then there's us lot, and a few hundred millennia after we're long gone, another will turn up and die off and on it goes.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Since we're taking this seriously...
If other alien civilisations have evolved, the chances of them evolving in the same several-hundred-thousand-year slot as any other alien civilisation are so staggeringly remote that I don't think a meeting is ever likely to happen. What's more likely is one evolves and becomes extinct, then a hundred-millennia later, another evolves and becomes extinct, then there's us lot, and a few hundred millennia after we're long gone, another will turn up and die off and on it goes.
Ah, but allowing for Drake's Equation it becomes more likely that multiple lifeforms exist simultaneously in the endless expanse of our universe alone. Then add to that the multiverse theory and mathematics prove this beyond mere theory we would not be unique or the only one.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't believe in the multiverse :okay:

Top Bottom