If I gave you £1000...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...which road bike would you buy for me?:evil:

I am 6'4" tall
weigh just under 17 stone
I want it to be comfy, fast, leight weight and safe
must look cool
I dont want to buy a bike and then have to upgrade everything 'cos the frame is ok but the bits are tack...
Must have at least a double...poss triple
I would use it for day rides and daily 30-40 mile loops
I won't race but might join a club and ride in a group or something

I am still in lurve with the Bianchi via nirone (just on looks alone!)...

...anyway...looks like I may have the ok on some cash so this may happen....eventually.

SamNichols

I'd get you a titanium one rather than a carbon, I reckon. Not an enigma because they're too much, but perhaps a Van Nicholas? Should be a nice fun ride, and pretty too.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Those Van nicks look nice...I took a look at the customise options but because I know ZERO about bike parts I hav eno chance....I dont know which parts are good, bad etc...I need someone to say...right BTFB what you need is this, with one of these, and a few of them etc...

kyuss

Veteran
I would have thought getting a Ti bike for a grand would be pretty hard unless you compromise on groupset and finishing kit. Can you really get a Van Nicholas for £1000? Looking at their site the cheapest 105 equipped price seems to be almost £1400.

Value for money these days seems very much in the carbon market. I hate to suggest these two regulars at this price point as I'm personally not too keen on them, but £1000 will get you an Ultegra equipped Planet X or Focus Cayo. There's a reason everyone seems to have one and give them fantastic reviews. They are very very well specced bikes for the money.

I'd think I'd still go for the Bianchi, although EBC's Revolution Shadow Road caught my eye the other week. It's better specced than the Bianchi but maybe not as pretty.

MichaelM

Guru
£1000 gets you a Dura Ace specced Planet X (not chainset though).

If on the other hand you don't want/like/fit the Planet X/Focus, you could go for a nice frame with lower spec kit e.g. Orbea Onix Vuelta (Yes - I bought the Giro version).

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'd probably end up buying a nice posh one that fits me perfectly, informing you of my mistake, and telling you i'll take it "back to the shop". it'll be a while before you get the right one because the shop has to order it from uzbekistan and you won't hear from me for a while because my phone's out of credit and has a flat battery. and i'm moving house. ;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Trillian said:
something light and steel, like a good bike should be ;)

Kaffenback maybe?

simonali

Guru
If you gave me a grand I'd buy you a pint to say thanks and make off sharpish with the rest before you changed your mind!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Thanks for helping me out.

Ok I have taken a look at this:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/triat...pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=335

I have a few nob questions if I may:

1) What is 'Ultegra' and why is it good?
2) Will a carbon frame hold a 17 stone bloke on a bumpy road?
3) How do I know what size/spec to order if I went for this bike? It just says XL which means little to me.
4) Is planet X a good name in the cycling world (i have never heard of them)?
5) Do carbon frames last as long as an aluminium one?
6) Looking at the spec on this bike, which items (if any) do you feel I may need/want to upgrade soon after purchase?

Ta.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Thanks for helping me out.

Ok I have taken a look at this

http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/triat...pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=335

I have a few nob questions if I may:

1) What is 'Ultegra' and why is it good?
2) Will a carbon frame hold a 17 stone bloke on a bumpy road?
3) How do I know what size/spec to order if I went for this bike? It just says XL which means little to me.
4) Is planet X a good name in the cycling world (i have never heard of them)?
5) Do carbon frames last as long as an aluminium one?
6) Looking at the spec on this bike, which items (if any) do you feel I may need/want to upgrade soon after purchase?

Ta.:biggrin:

I thought I might take a trip to this not so local BS

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=dbpage&wce=cycles01

as they seem to have the bianchi, spesh and planet x

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Planet-X / On-one are one about the best independent bike companies in the country.

Carbon frames vary massively. They are very strong, but some do also have recommended maximums. All you can do is check with the shop - and make sure the guarrantee has no conditions!

If you can't try the bike out in advance, then the very least you can do is measure your height, inside leg, body length and arm length and ask the company what they recommend.

Ultegra is the second to the top of the Shimano range below Dura-Ace. Unless you are a serious racing rider you really won't get any more out of having DA anyway.

And upgrades? Why would you need to?

Top Bottom