If it isn't on Strava ( other route loggers are available) it didn't happen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hear this often, sometimes in jest, sometimes I'm not sure. Now I habitually log my rides on Strava et.al.and I'm in two minds about this sentiment. On one hand, I like to take people at their word, about their rides, on the other hand, I often hear people telling me about their 400km ride in one day, on a unicycle, blindfolded, with one arm tied behind their back, etc.etc.etc. Now I'm not the sort to really give 2 hoots usually, but with the advent of Garmin / Strava / whatever, in the absence of a 'log' I have to have a chuckle to myself, when I hear someone spouting off in this way. Am I alone?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Personally I couldn't give toss. Whether it is cycling or some other activity, people like that tend to get their come uppance at some stage.
My eldest daughter has been a strong swimmer since about 7 years of age and was training typically 3 times a week from aged 10, to the start of her GCSEs. Her secondary school had its own pool and I recall her taking a secret pleasure finding the "embellishers" claims were built on foundations of sand..

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yeah, but if they're not logging on Strava, they can't be all that.

Now I know you are on wind up.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't care whether they log it or not.... They don't know what will impress me, I'm more likely to be impressed by someone doing something that they have had to work very hard to overcome a major hurdle, than just by sheer skill (the Danny Mackaskil's of the world excepted).

The other day I managed a QOM and a 10th place.... Neither are outstanding in the world of things, both not that many females have attempted, but I think I was more pleased by the 10th place than the other one. Now I feel as if I have spouted off....:blush: But that's the first time I've mentioned either. The point was that it is more how much you had to overcome to get that result, rather than the actual result.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I don't care whether they log it or not.... They don't know what will impress me, I'm more likely to be impressed by someone doing something that they have had to work very hard to overcome a major hurdle, than just by sheer skill (the Danny Mackaskil's of the world excepted).

The other day I managed a QOM and a 10th place.... Neither are outstanding in the world of things, both not that many females have attempted, but I think I was more pleased by the 10th place than the other one. Now I feel as if I have spouted off....:blush: But that's the first time I've mentioned either. The point was that it is more how much you had to overcome to get that result, rather than the actual result.
Well you haven't provided a link to Strava, so that clearly didn't happen.

Top Bottom