If you could be a top athlete in any sport...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
It's the last thing I'd want to be. Pro cycling is poorly paid and is really hard and painful

Golf...get paid a shed load to have a nice walk and you can continue into err..."late middle age". Only downside are all the self-gratification artists with their jags and g&ts but the money will compensate for that
Agreed.

I wouldn't want the hours and stress that must come with being a DS.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Golf's quite a tricky game: getting the ball up a ramp, past the windmill blades into the clown's mouth requires skill

That's why there's so much money to be made.

Sled dog racing, because I think it'ds far more exciting than other sports and I get to have a team of huskies.

Ballroom dancing. As we're speaking hypothetically I'd assume my very beautiful wife is my dance partner and I'd be able to dance with her every day.

As I currently can't dance at all, that's some way off I think...

rugby bloke

Veteran
Always wanted to be an F1 driver when I was a kid - my dad was an amateur racing driver so I grew up around racing circuits. Nowadays I think a downhill skiier would suit me. Being paid to be ski - perfect. Downsides, relatively short career and high risk of serious injury !

Cricketer would have been my choice. played to a high amateur level, but there's a long way to the next stage. Travelling to the Caribbean, South Africa, India and Sri Lanka and, of course, Australasia. Playing in (mostly) good weather and being able to have big lunches and teas. Plus the beer afterwards.

I play golf (badly) but at the highest level it would have suited me. Again, playing outdoors in mostly good weather on spectacular courses and nature, and playing with opponents whom you would get to know and be mates with (probably) over a couple of decades. And the financial rewards are attractive, even if they are ridiculously high.

Beach bum suits me best, though and long may it continue.

That's what i thought. :smile: Pro cyclist would be my choice now,but in my younger days i would've gone for a javelin thrower or maybe chucking the hammer.
I've chucked the hammer a few times, usually just after smacking my thumb

Tin Pot

Guru
which one would you choose?
Obviously, being a pro footballer would earn you most dosh, but my choice, ignoring money, would be cricketer (because I love the game) or decathlete, because I love their all round ability and physique.

Ironman Triathlon.

Ironman World Champion...

<drops mike>

Last edited:
Does Guy Martin count, as a 'sport?, given his range of abilities

I admire him for the Narrow Boat (his first TV programmes), the Land Speed Records, the Spitfire, the Vulcan, the Merlin on a trolley!!!
The Scania V8s, the mentalist Volvo, the Wall Of Death

The trip to Chernobyl...……:eek:

The motor-bike racing, of course

Oh, & for saying Laura Trott "Wasn't hard to look at" :laugh::angel:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My main sporting claims to fame are:

1) Third place, obstacle race, (name of town) Catholic Primary Schools Sports Day (1973)
2) First place (name of city) Nurses Swimming Association Freestyle (1986)
3) First place (name of city) Nurses Swimming Association Diving (1986)

(I was a nurse, many years ago)
(I was good at swimming and very good at diving (somersaults, etc)
I got disqualified from the breaststroke (after winning) because of using a 'screw kick' rather than a conventional kick.

Top Bottom