If you could only keep ONE bike, Which one would it be and Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Ming’s post “Are modern bikes rubbish?” Got me thinking...

IF for WHATEVER reason you could only keep ONE of your bikes, which would it be and why?

* With the understanding that none of us really want to do this.

Here's my What and Why...

My 3 rides...

1966 Chrome Moly Schwinn Super Sport, a 10-speed, now a single speed
1997 Steel Bianchi Ocelot old school hardtail mountain bike
2009 Alum. T re k FX 7.6 hybrid w carbon forks

I'm not into speed or distance records. If I could only keep ONE, it would be my old school mountain bike. REASON: With 1.5” semi-road tires, there's nowhere I can't ride enjoyably.

I don't have anything against either of my other 2 bikes. I like them for what they are and what they do. I better, I paid for them!

What I paid for them, all second hand:

Schwinn $85
Bianchi $145
Trek $350

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sorry but what a stupid question , one bike really :laugh:

Now now, I've only got two, and that's a problem...
Probably the Scott roadie. Flat bars, good, 25mm tyres, less good, great gearing. Go back a couple of months and the Revell mixte would get the nod.
It would certainly be a hard decision.

mustang1

Guru
Probably MTB. Goes anywhere. Can be reasonable on road and really good off-road. The road bike is only good on road and reasonable on hard pack off road.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Felt roadie.

In the grand scheme its nothing exciting, but by sheer good fortune it fits me like a glove, almost biologically part of me. As a result its a joy to ride fast or slow, and feels head and shoulders above every other bike ive ridden, including one that cost 9 grand. I dare not sell it for fear of never finding something else that fits me so perfectly.

All the bling in the world won't make a mediocre frame better, but lowly Tiagra on a perfect frame is simply peerless.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My Spa Steel Audax. It's the only bike I ride apart from rare occasions when I need the Brompton's foldy powers. I've never got in to the whole N+1 thing.

I'd keep my giant tcr for the simple reason that it's the one with the most value so I'd get more money if I decided to sell it

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've just sold a TCR, so I currently have these:
  • Trek 7.3FX (old)
  • Giant Defy alu with 105
  • Giant Escape hybrid
  • Genesis Tour de Fer 10

I'd keep the Genesis because it does the most jobs, I.e. it's nice on the road, quick enough to cover some good mileage, comfortable with it, and it'll handle light off road tracks comfortably. It'll also carry a lot of stuff, camping gear or few days worth of shopping.

I know, I might as well get some sandals while I'm at it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ginger Genesis Equilibrium, because I’m very fond of it (it’s actually probably penultimate in terms of value) and enjoy riding most (not the most practical as has rim brakes but it still works in the wet 👍). It’s done far more miles than any of the others

But it probably is a rather silly question :wacko:

Top Bottom