If you could only keep ONE bike, Which one would it be and Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TigerT

Veteran
Hard to choose only one, but probably my Trek Madone. It was my dream bike when I bought it and I still love it, the only thing that would improve it would be disc brakes, but at the speed I go, they are not really necessary :laugh: My Brompton would be a close 2nd, it's probably my least used bike, but I always wanted one and I love riding it.

fatjel

Veteran
The Spa Steel Audax. It takes a pannier rack and proper mudguards fits like a glove and if you take everything off is a decently light road bike.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My elephant bike. For those out of the UK, it is this. A converted Royal Mail posties bike made by Pashley.
Ral-6015-Parcel-scaled.jpg

No it is not fast and yes it is heavy but a bike doesn't look like that unless it is practical and it is. It is also extremely reliable.

The Xtracycle:

2021_06_03_airport_loop_tinybug_12.jpg

By far the most versatile bike I own: it can't carry as much as the Bakfiets, nor is it as fast as the commuter/tourer, but it can do most of what both other bilkes can do. In fact, the main reason I have the other bikes is that I'd wear the Xtracycle out if I used it for everything I do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kayakerles

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Hard to choose only one, but probably my Trek Madone. It was my dream bike when I bought it and I still love it, the only thing that would improve it would be disc brakes, but at the speed I go, they are not really necessary :laugh: My Brompton would be a close 2nd, it's probably my least used bike, but I always wanted one and I love riding it.
Certainly not a Madone, Tiger, but I am also very fond of my relatively “new-to-me” 2009 FX 7.6. Same on the brakes, caliper, but do the job, wheels with slightly less spokes, may not be quite as strong, but works for me. No complaints. (but my 1979 Bianchi Ocelot mountain bike would still be man “can-do-all-I-need” keeper.) Enjoy your great ride!

KneesUp

Guru
Logically it should be the Dahon. I can ride it on the road. I can ride it on “gravel”. I can fold it up and take it on the train to work. No other bike I own can do all of those things. In practice I’ve stopped train commuting with all that’s going on so it’s foldinesss is not so useful at the moment. So I’d go with my steel Raleigh “winter trainer” because it can do pretty much anything I’m likely to ask of it. Be nice if I could get some 35s on it but it’s comfy enough on 28s. When I was a kid I had one bike and it was a “road” bike and I never felt like I needed another.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is like, which puppy do you want or which of your children is your favourite?

OP
OP
kayakerles

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
This is like, which puppy do you want or which of your children is your favourite?
LOL, very true,
HTML:
 @steveindenmark
Or in my household, kitties. My wife won’t even engage with me in any, “if you could only choose one...” conversations. I feel your pain!

So, Steve, which would it be and why? :biggrin:

(I hope I put the code in correctly to make sure you see this, but I'm not sure... if anyone could enlighten me, I would appreciate it. Even an old cyclist can learn new tricks!)

Al_Han

Regular
My bikes are Kinesis race light kr-810, old Rockhopper and Kona rove al gravel. I’d probably pick the Kona purely for versitility, it’s pretty decent at everything I need from a bike

Top Bottom