If you couldn't have clipless pedals...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
In France I saw a few touring cyclists riding barefoot.
Presumably not on pinned pedals :-)

Last edited:
Yet 98% of road bike cyclists use them (give or take).
They don't know why, which is fun.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Damn, I just looked through the thread, intending to reply with that (almost). I was going to say "I'd invent clipless pedals and make a fortune". :laugh:

You would be a millionaire ...oh wait a minute...

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I have a set of these permanently stuck on my pedals so I have the benefits of both all the time.

downloadfile.jpg

SPD's imho do make a difference. I know I can accelerate a lot quicker when locked in and can safely say I can ride further before getting tired. But I prefer being on platforms when going to the bank etc and some of the more technical offroading adventures.
They each have their pros and cons.

Personally, my take is that stiff shoes are the greatest aid to efficiency. For many years, I cycled in an old pair of Dickies safety shoes, which had a steel bar right through. Not the lightest footwear on or off a bike, but good and stiff for pedalling!

Oxo

Guru
I ride a Specialized bike - I can ride further and faster than on any other brand.
I ride a black bike - I can ride further and faster than on any other colour frame.
I use clipless pedals - I can ride further and faster than using other pedals.
I am delusional - but hey, what's it to do with any one else, my bike and my pedals.

Top Bottom