if you had to leave the UK now permanently, where would and could you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I should have said rural Pennsylvania!
Philly's pretty rough I'm told!!

Same as all large cities. Depends where you go. Some places in NE Philly are really nice, Torresdale, Pennypack & Bustleton. City centre, Fish Town and South Street have been gentrified in the past 20 years and are pretty safe as safe as large cities go. Kensington and South Philly are the traditional no go areas.

Drago

Legendary Member
I should have said rural Pennsylvania!
Philly's pretty rough I'm told!!
Yeah, makes New York look pretty tame. I mean, a place has to be pretty rough if even midwives need bodyguards. Fortunately I never had and real hassle in the job, the presence of a large, fit young man with a short haircut and obvious alertness was enough to keep the youngsters curious but wary. Mr Walther had my back ;)

Rural side is lovely. Bears going though the trash cans at night was a regular thing, although I never saw any. Scenery beautiful, how many people imagine New England to be although technically I think its classed as Middle Colonies.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Seriously, I'm a home bird and would probably struggle being abroad for too long, so I reckon either the USA, as I have family there that I would love to spend more time with, and I reckon I could earn a few quid in their oil industry. Or Canada, as its massive and I reckon I could create my own wee corner of Scotland in a country like that.

Nova Scotia?

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I'd choose to go to the Netherlands or Ireland, but I don't think I would be allowed for more than a few weeks.

Where would you go?

Netherlands. Nice country, nice natives, progressive attitude to things, great cycling infrastructure plus its a big part of Dutch culture.
Ireland a good second.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Ireland, as I have citizenship, or Italy as I love the place and can chat quite comfortably in the language.

I'd choose to go to the Netherlands or Ireland, but I don't think I would be allowed for more than a few weeks.

Where would you go?

Why not allowed after a few weeks? Do you go mad abroad? ^_^

The Netherlands is a different kettle of fish post-Brexit (and was pretty strict pre-Brexit, too) but Ireland is open to British passport holders living, working & retiring there, even post-Brexit. The Common Travel Area covers that.
According to the most recent census (and most previous ones) Brits are the second largest "foreign" group living in Ireland, after the Polish.

The Netherlands, in my experience, is one of the "easiest" places to set up life abroad due to the prevalence of English and the high level of organisation.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Sadly not an option now. At least, there's no right to move to the EU, and they have no incentive to grant citizenship to someone near or at the end of their career.

Drago

Legendary Member
Our plan was to move to Zell am See or thereabouts, but Brexit stuffed all that.
Really? My IT man emigrated there last year and now he remotely mends my computer and deletes my incriminating browser history from Salzburg instead of Olney. Certain events we won't mention didn't seem to stop him.

Top Bottom