If you're riding outside Holland . . please wear a helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
A friend of mine fell down the stairs at a local hotel just befor christmas and sustained a nasty head injury - 10 days in neuro ICU, 4 days them sedated and on a ventilator and a total of three weeks in hospital.

I've told her to please think of her sweet mother and promise that from now on PLEASE wear a helmet whenever she's going down stairs (unless she's in Holland, of course), but she just told me to #^@& off! Bloody rude!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I think helmet wearers should be warned of the risks associated with pudding bowl dependence:
http://www.menthogen.co.uk/helmet-causes-hair-loss.html
http://www.menthogen.co.uk/helmet-causes-hair-loss.html

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Are we now establishing the picture that the OP is actually scared of riding in traffic and promoting the magic hat as a reason to try and asuage such fear? It would explain the Holland and segregation aspect of the post (the fact that a majority of Dutch roads do not have any cycle infrastructure seems to have passed the OP by).

Here's a simple point, cycling is a safe activity, and it is beneficial. Helmets have never been shown to reduce head injuries in population wide studies (in fact in most such as in Australia, the probability of head injouries per unit distance goes up), but have been shown to massively reduce cycling rates in countries where they have been mandated, or even strongly promoted.

I'll quote Roger Geffen again on helmets as this point needs hammering home to helmet evangelists as often as possible: -

"It is well established that, if you weigh up the life-years gained through cycling (due to increased physical activity) versus the life years lost (due to injury), the health benefits of cycling far outweigh the risks involved. One widely quoted figure for the UK, acknowledged by Government, puts the benefit:disbenefit ratio for the UK at 20:1. Other ratios for other countries are higher still. (N.B. some of the academic references reduce the ratio by including the negative effects of pollution - however that's obviously irrelevant to the helmet debate. If you remove the pollution effect, the other references all come out with ratios above 20:1). But let's take 20:1 for the sake of argument.

From this, recent research shows that, if you tell people to wear helmets (whether by law or simply through promotion campaigns) and this reduces cycle use by more than 1 unit of cycling (e.g. one cyclist, or one km cycled) for every 20 who continue, this is absolutely guaranteed to shorten more lives than helmets could possibly save - even if they were 100% effective at preventing ALL cycling injuries (i.e. leg, arm, shoulder injuries as well as head injuries) for the remaining cyclists. That maximum threshold, beyond which you would be doing more harm than good, then drops further still - down to c2% - once you take account of the proportion of cycling injuries which are non-head injuries. And this is still assuming that helmets are 100% effective at preventing head injuries.

In fact, the evidence on the effectiveness of helmets has become increasingly sceptical over time. A recent literature review by Rune Elvik, an internationally recognised authority on road safety, found that the estimates of helmet effectiveness have progressively decreased over time, with the most recent studies showing no net benefit. In this same report he documents evidence that helmets increase the risk of neck injuries. In a separate report, Elvik has also found that helmet-wearers suffer 14% more injuries per mile travelled than non-wearers. The reasons for this are unclear, however there is good evidence that (at least some) cyclists ride less cautiously when wearing helmets, and that drivers leave less space when overtaking cyclists with helmets than those without.

The only clearly documented effect of enforced helmet laws (e.g. in Australia, New Zealand or parts of Canada) is to substantially reduce cycle use, typically by about a third. Reductions in cyclists' head injury have been similar to the reductions in cycle use, suggesting no reduction in risk for the remaining cyclists, and in some cases this appears to have worsened. In addition to the possible explanations in the para above, this may also be becuase reductions in cycle use undermine the "safety in numbers" effect for the cyclists who remain - see see www.ctc.org.uk/safetyinnumbers. A clear relationship has been shown between cycle use and cycle safety - cycling is safer in places where cycle use is high (e.g. the Netherlands or Denmark - or within Britain, in Cambridge or York). Telling people to wear helmets, instead of creating safe cycling conditions, is contrary to the aims of encouraging more, as well as safer, cycling.

From this, I hope it is clear that the effectiveness or otherwise of helmets is not the main point. As explained above, even if helmets were 100% effective, you would still be doing more harm than good if you deter more than c2% of cycle use by telling people to wear them. That's because the risks of cycling are not especially high, and the health benefits are SO much greater. You are about as unlikely to be killed in a mile of cycling as a mile of walking - do we also need walking helmets? - no, of course not! The idea that you need helmets to cycle is both a symptom of our massively exaggerated concern about the "dangers" of cycling, which results in such pitifully low cycle use in Britain.

In short, if we want to maximise the health, environmental and other benefits of cycling, we need to focus on creating safe conditions, and thus increasing cycle use. Resorting to helmets simply tackles the symptoms of the problem, not the causes, and thus deters people from cycling. This is pretty much guaranteed to shorten more lives than it could possibly save. Faced with both an obesity crisis and a climate crisis, the last thing we should be doing is driving people into increasingly car-dependent, obesogenic lifestyles."
How true, and I despair of our government ever realising any of the above :sad:. They really are convinced that they're right, and the rest of the world has got it wrong.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
2886753 said:
We should settle the matter by a modern trial of combat. Perhaps a series of cricket matches.
Absolutely :thumbsup:, provided we modify the match rules to disallow sledging, which tends to ruin the game (not to mention making the sledgers look like idiots). I'm thinking of Australian batsmen in this context, by the way, not the English ones.

2886753 said:
We should settle the matter by a modern trial of combat. Perhaps a series of cricket matches.

ca_box_2.jpg

Oh sorry... wrong end - I meant

prd85a28d37-cdfd-4f3b-b39a-72bbfca19a8b.jpg

U

User169

Just sayin'... I had five pints of Jaipur IPA and fell off my bike and hit my head and I just walked away.* If I hadn't had the IPA I would probably have smashed my head to smithereens. Where's the praise for my courage in sharing this salutary lesson?

I say "just walked away" but it's possible that I walked into a door. I don't really remember.

Nice one TC (although some might argue that Thornbridge is a somewhat dubious outfit). Just to be on the safe said, I had a few Westmalle Dubbels before riding home this evening. Of course, being in Holland I'd have been OK anyway:rolleyes:.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I used to be proud of my ability to ride a bike when I couldn't even stand up!
Come to think of it, I still am proud of that! :cheers:
I doubt I'd have been able to do a helmet up though...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Paradigms eventually fall . . .
Paradigms fall because they're proved wrong, not because fashions change.

So far the paradigm that's falling is the one that says that a helmet is an effective intervention. All the research points in completely the opposite direction.

green1

Über Member
ca_box_2.jpg

Oh sorry... wrong end - I meant

prd85a28d37-cdfd-4f3b-b39a-72bbfca19a8b.jpg
Funnily enough cricket helmets are quite interesting. Far more batsmen are hit on the head nowadays then in the pre helmet era due to the fact batsmen know they are wearing one and don't use the technique of keeping their eyes on the thing thats going to hit them. I've never worn one and would rather keep my eyes on the ball and get out of the way of it.

U

User482

Funnily enough cricket helmets are quite interesting. Far more batsmen are hit on the head nowadays then in the pre helmet era due to the fact batsmen know they are wearing one and don't use the technique of keeping their eyes on the thing thats going to hit them. I've never worn one and would rather keep my eyes on the ball and get out of the way of it.

If it's true that batsmen get hit more, is it because they are more willing to play the hook shot, knowing that if they miss it, they're less likely to get hurt?

Certainly it's the case that scoring rates are higher these days, which would indicate that batsmen are attempting to play more scoring shots.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If it's true that batsmen get hit more, is it because they are more willing to play the hook shot, knowing that if they miss it, they're less likely to get hurt?.
Or perhaps is it because the quickies are more likely to bowl short stuff to tail enders - because they aren't so vulnerable now, as they have helmets. And possibly because they (the tail enders) aren't quite as hopeless as in the "old days" with everyone being required to do a bit. So many variables in the game have changed since the days of uncovered pitches, no helmets and jumpers for goalposts (oops, wrong sport) that if batsmen are being hit more, it's unlikely to have one single cause.

green1

Über Member
If it's true that batsmen get hit more, is it because they are more willing to play the hook shot, knowing that if they miss it, they're less likely to get hurt?

Certainly it's the case that scoring rates are higher these days, which would indicate that batsmen are attempting to play more scoring shots.
In general you don't see the hook much these days, certainly not like when the Windies awesome attack was pummeling teams in the 70s/80s with 5 or 6 bouncers an over which isn't allowed now. you certainly see far more batsmen taking their eye off the ball due to bad technique in playing the short ball since the introduction of helmets. If your not looking at it you can't take avoiding action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom