If you're riding outside Holland . . please wear a helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

green1

Über Member
Or perhaps is it because the quickies are more likely to bowl short stuff to tail enders - because they aren't so vulnerable now, as they have helmets. And possibly because they aren't quite as hopeless as in the "old days" with everyone being required to do a bit. So many variables in the game have changed since the days of uncovered pitches, no helmets and jumpers for goalposts (oops, wrong sport) that if batsmen are being hit more, it's unlikely to have one single cause.
I wouldn't call Justin Langer a tail ender and he was renowned for getting beaned

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
How did we go from skips to cricket? :wacko:

U

User482

2887698 said:
Risk compensation clearly. Does the same occur with cycle helmets? Downhill MTBers pretty certainly. Road?

Pass. I would say that risk compensation isn't always a bad thing...

U

User482

In general you don't see the hook much these days, certainly not like when the Windies awesome attack was pummeling teams in the 70s/80s with 5 or 6 bouncers an over which isn't allowed now. you certainly see far more batsmen taking their eye off the ball due to bad technique in playing the short ball since the introduction of helmets. If your not looking at it you can't take avoiding action.

I'm not quite convinced...with one or two exceptions you don't see many decent batsmen getting hit on the head often. I think there's something in @Dogtrousers point about they way tailenders are bowled to - the gentleman's agreement of not bouncing each other is long gone.

U

User482

2887761 said:
I would reckon that, on the part of the cyclist, it is pretty much immeasurable

Indeed. When riding offroad, tackling obstacles on the trail is riskier than simply lifting the bike over them, but I do it because it's fun. On road, I like going downhill faster than I need to. Would I do those things sans helmet? Probably. To the same degree? F*ck knows.

[QUOTE 2887304, member: 45"]I've seen that. It wasn't going very fast at the time.[/quote]

There is an obvious joke about Hen nights and fast women - but I am going to resist......

Kies

so after 7 pages .... what have we learned?

1. some people always wear helmets
2. some people never wear helmets
3. some people have better bike control than others
4. some people ride too fast for the environment they are riding within
5. some people will land on their ass, whilst others will land on their head
6. this is unlikely to be the last post on the helmet debate
7. i need a cup of tea

green1

Über Member

7. i need a cup of tea
You forgot that someone broke a helmet doing something the helmet is not designed to withstand and it 'definitely saved their life'.

Wobblers

Euthermic

7. i need a cup of tea

Would it be all right if I had a beer instead?

Kies

that depends on your risk assessment of the situation. i would wear a helmet in case your head hits the front lip of the fridge, but remove it for consumption

green1

Über Member
that depends on your risk assessment of the situation. i would wear a helmet in case your head hits the front lip of the fridge, but remove it for consumption
But put in back on after the second beer to mitigate the risks of falling over whilst drunk/tipsy. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom