Illegal electric bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Where we are moving, I'll have acess to quite a bit of private land. The bike is nearly speed pedelec compliant. With a few small changes it would pass IVA.

Ive no initial interest in riding at 28 mph due to range restrictions. I will ride at reduced power to find max reliable range. Im more interested in zone 2 riding whatever the terrain.

The future might bring legislation changes allowing me to ride with more speed, but who knows

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I was staggered to see several commercials on YouTube recently advertising a product to break the law with. It beggars belief to see such advertisements on there. :ohmy:

Product in question.

CXRAndy

Guru
Demand for something normally means what's being offered is not upto snuff. More powerful ebikes are in demand.

A bit like Scooters which were banned. but the government saw many were using them so have allowed there use. Albeit in a trial, but its really just a step to full rollout.

For fitness, an ebike is far more beneficial than just standing on a motorised skateboard

OP
OP
E
Demand for something normally means what's being offered is not upto snuff. More powerful ebikes are in demand.

Well - OK - generally yes

but

it can also mean that people WANT something more
but that does NOT mean they should be allowed to have it

so e.g.
people WANT to have the motorway speed limit raised quite a lot - government even said they were going to do so (OK only to 80) and got a lot of praise for it
a lot of people seem to say that if they have a car that do 190 mph then they should be allowed to go WAY faster than 70 because the car is SOOO much better made and has much better brakes etc etc

but we are supposed to make laws and regulations based on what is good for the People as a whole

not just a small group that want something

if there was a referendum on raising whether these illegal bikes should be banned then the majority of the population would say no

look the the petition thread

and look at the previous almost identical petition - both asking for an increase to the cutoff speed

lots of people saying it was ESSENTIAL

then when asked to sign the petition we find loads more people who say - NAH - don't agree - no signing
but previously they were silent and just ignoring the shouting

now I'll duck and wait for the flack

Now I appreciate we have laws for a reason, but we've got a lot more to worry about on our roads than idiots with unrestricted ebikes, such as idiots with unrestricted 300bhp 2 tonne motors. Can't say I've noticed an increase in ebike use locally. I'm one of the rare few to use one at work. I hardly ever see the unrestricted subset here in Bradford/Kirklees. I'm content with my 15.5mph ebike. Too much faster and demands on the ebike battery, motor longevity and environmentally friendly credentials start going out of the window.

Last edited:
I was staggered to see several commercials on YouTube recently advertising a product to break the law with. It beggars belief to see such advertisements on there. :ohmy:

Product in question.
I recall reading Bosch went to great lengths to make the 4th Gen motors difficult to delimit because they are worried that there will be legislative crackdown, but also to protect them from warranty claims resulting in motor abuse. It looks like these hackers yet again found a way to trick the system, when you stop riding the computer has been duped into detecting movement so it doesn't trip the delimiter detection system, can't say I'd want to use this on my commute if I have to hang around for 5 minutes whilst my bike computer catches up with me. :laugh:

FYI, these systems are perfectly legal to use on private land, so youtube isn't technically advertising any illegal goods. Just as John Lewis are not responsible for my use of a heavy cast iron pan supplied by them in anger. The law breaking is done when the user applies the goods in an "unintended manner".

I can see how a trail rider in particular might benefit from this system which is easy to turn on and off. I'm impressed with it really, but not for me!

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The illegal bikes could only be legal for use on private land - to which the public has no access.

The last bit is crucial, because it means all trails and cycle paths are out.

Things get even more complicated, because if the rider knocks over and kills someone in his own enclosed field, the rider could still be liable even though the victim was trespassing.

Chances of that happening are vanishingly low, but as we all know collisions on trails and cycle paths do happen.

the snail

Guru
Things get even more complicated, because if the rider knocks over and kills someone in his own enclosed field, the rider could still be liable even though the victim was trespassing.
The rider could just as easily be liable if riding a legal ebike or non ebike, the type of bike would only matter if it could be shown to contribute to the accident.

OP
OP
E
If you are on a public trail/track/path/road the cops could still do you for not having insurance, MOT, Helmet and stuff as it could be classed as a moped
And if speed was considered to be a factor then you could claim that the rider would have been going slower if the bike had been less powerful.

CXRAndy

Guru
Incidents of cyclists hitting people is rather rare(even with some behaving recklessly). Yes there have been a few highly publicised incidents, but again rare. So unless you're being a numpty, chances of incidents is not really worrying about, especially for those being mostly responsible.

Besides the police are not doing a thing about groups of youths riding London's roads, paths, shopping malls doing wheelies nearly all the time.

This numpty openly streams their rides in London, with apparently no repercussions :ohmy:

View: https://youtu.be/-TX9oBcgjRk

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
One day he'll end up under a lorry and not everyone will be sorry.

Is it just me, or does his front wheel need truing?

RichardB

Slightly retro
I'd be very tempted to give him a firm nudge in the ribs as he passed. Sorry, mate, didn't see yer, just demonstrating this karate punch to my mate as we walked along.

gbb

Legendary Member
Incidents of cyclists hitting people is rather rare(even with some behaving recklessly). Yes there have been a few highly publicised incidents, but again rare. So unless you're being a numpty, chances of incidents is not really worrying about, especially for those being mostly responsible.

Besides the police are not doing a thing about groups of youths riding London's roads, paths, shopping malls doing wheelies nearly all the time.

This numpty openly streams their rides in London, with apparently no repercussions :ohmy:

View: https://youtu.be/-TX9oBcgjRk

Impressive skills...until he knocked over a ped, mother and pram or similar, then he would rightly face the wrath of the law and public media. I was young and stupid once...you learn....hopefully without hurting anyone.

Top Bottom