Illegal electric bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
E
Older ebikes can have a throttle. The regs changed around 2013. My Wisper has a twist throttle and was legal at the time of sale (2014) although it will only propel the bike unassisted up to 4 mph by design. Your Dad's Powabike was and is quite legal to use, but it would fall foul of the regs if it was sold today.

The scooter in the ad is just taking the mick, to be honest.
The regs actually changed on 1st Jan 2016 - any bike first sold or made or imported before that date could have a throttle - but there were other regs it had to comply with as well
including a max motor power of 200W rather than 250W for current regs
I know this because I also used to have a Powacycle Salisbury. It was nice to have the throttle - but basically the technology was old all over as well as being made to the old regs

I also find that if you have a basic rear hub ebike you can kinda cheat by rotating the pedals slowly with almost no pressure and the motor will cut in because they oftne have a simple rotation sensor and not proper torque sensor. This happened with the old Powacycle - and also works with my wife's folding Carrera ebike - although the Carrera is a bit more difficult to fool it can be don

RichardB

Slightly retro
The regs actually changed on 1st Jan 2016 - any bike first sold or made or imported before that date could have a throttle - but there were other regs it had to comply with as well
including a max motor power of 200W rather than 250W for current regs
I know this because I also used to have a Powacycle Salisbury. It was nice to have the throttle - but basically the technology was old all over as well as being made to the old regs

Thanks for the correction. My Wisper must have been made in the intermediate period, as it has a throttle (although restricted to a 'walk along' speed), but the motor is a full 250W.

As far as I am aware the 4 MPH walk assist is still OK? My wife's bike is mid engine, so it works through the gears, and using the gears I can just about get it home from the main road, and in the main does all we want, but there are some draw backs.

The weight means can carry and electric and standard bike on the tow ball cycle rack, but not two electric bikes.
The non folding bike is easy to steal from the car.
I can only carry them with the large car with tow bracket.
It is a bit on the big side to carry on the train, the 90 deg turn is main problem, carriage is designed for wheel chairs, but they are shorter.
Not permitted on the bus.

So was looking at folding bikes, as more secure in boot of car, and can carry in small car, likely permitted on bus, but it does not drive through the gears, so likely lower hill climbing ability, remember I live in Wales. So aim was to go to Shrewsbury and test some bikes. But Colvid 19 put the brakes on, with no trains running could hardly use the bike anyway, so decided to wait. Don't want illegal, yes tempting to zip along at 20 MPH and likely safer on these roads, but as said may as well get a moped to do that, the bike is for two things, one keep me fit, two allow me to take photos, being able to stop anywhere along the road is what I want, also being able to lift the bike over a gate before leaving it to walk further, so weight is a consideration, being like the mobility scooter would be good so and split into manageable parts.

So at moment just gathering info, so when I can use one I can get best for me. Other option and still seems good option is leave a bike at Welshpool train station, so no need to carry it, just collect it when I arrive, since I normally volunteer at the railway that is likely possible. I have an old mountain bike that if stolen would not upset me too much. But the train no longer goes through the town, so still a hill between the cut and the railway.

OP
OP
E
As far as I am aware the 4 MPH walk assist is still OK? My wife's bike is mid engine, so it works through the gears, and using the gears I can just about get it home from the main road, and in the main does all we want, but there are some draw backs.

The weight means can carry and electric and standard bike on the tow ball cycle rack, but not two electric bikes.
The non folding bike is easy to steal from the car.
I can only carry them with the large car with tow bracket.
It is a bit on the big side to carry on the train, the 90 deg turn is main problem, carriage is designed for wheel chairs, but they are shorter.
Not permitted on the bus.

So was looking at folding bikes, as more secure in boot of car, and can carry in small car, likely permitted on bus, but it does not drive through the gears, so likely lower hill climbing ability, remember I live in Wales. So aim was to go to Shrewsbury and test some bikes. But Colvid 19 put the brakes on, with no trains running could hardly use the bike anyway, so decided to wait. Don't want illegal, yes tempting to zip along at 20 MPH and likely safer on these roads, but as said may as well get a moped to do that, the bike is for two things, one keep me fit, two allow me to take photos, being able to stop anywhere along the road is what I want, also being able to lift the bike over a gate before leaving it to walk further, so weight is a consideration, being like the mobility scooter would be good so and split into manageable parts.

So at moment just gathering info, so when I can use one I can get best for me. Other option and still seems good option is leave a bike at Welshpool train station, so no need to carry it, just collect it when I arrive, since I normally volunteer at the railway that is likely possible. I have an old mountain bike that if stolen would not upset me too much. But the train no longer goes through the town, so still a hill between the cut and the railway.
Don't eliminate hub drive for hills
My main ebike is centre drive - but my wife has a folder (Carrera) which has a cheap hub system. Last year went managed to get a holiday in Cornwall we folded it up and chucked it in the back of the car just in case
We were staying at a site quite inland - hence a lot of those short VERY steep roads with lots of bends and the thing just went up them with no problem
Yes - I had to pedal - and put in some effort - and Yes I may have had to use high assists at times
but it coped with no problems
My posh - and much more expensive - Bosch mid drive would not have been much better - if at all!

As far as weight goes - the folder could easily be lifted over a gate - my full size one as well.
But the folder would be far easier - just fold it and lift it - the weight on a full size bike makes it very awkward to lift high

CXRAndy

Guru
My order for an ebike has gone into the production. Not exactly sure what that means, whether its on a list or is being constructed. :wacko:

My bike will weigh 32kg, being a long wheelbase full suspension plus panniers and extra battery, more like 40-45kg

OP
OP
E
My order for an ebike has gone into the production. Not exactly sure what that means, whether its on a list or is being constructed. :wacko:

My bike will weigh 32kg, being a long wheelbase full suspension plus panniers and extra battery, more like 40-45kg
WOW - sounds impressive

details required!!!

and a photo when it arrives

CXRAndy

Guru
All in good time :okay:

iluvmybike

Über Member

Flippin' heck - that is between 70-90lbs!!! Wouldn't like to have to heave that around...good luck

Top Bottom