Illness and Machismo and Stress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This is prompted by Boris Johnson continuing to work despite having Corona Virus, despite having a fever, despite it getting much more serious and being admitted to hospital.

I despair at this macho attitude to illness and continuing to work even as the symptoms get worse. It will also put many under pressure to work when ill, which just adds stress, which is not good for recovery and health.

If you are ill, please please rest, the illness is stressing your body and adding more stress on top by continuing to work helps no one.

Working when ill is not good for the health or a good role model

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I was in a position recently where a physical illness (Ive never been off work properly sick) floored me for weeks and leading into CV19 getting closer to home I still wasn't feeling 100%

It took a mental toll then, mainly job related stress but also the thought of carrying home to my vulnerable family. I'm currently unemployed having quit and can start my new job whenever I'm ready (taking a break for some me time)

Quite a fortunate position, but I work on the basis that short term pain = long term gain.

Last edited:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
It very much depends on the individual. Some people get stressed if they are inactive. They actually like their work and it's good for their mental wellbeing.
That’s me your talking about. However I have declined promotion as it’s 10% more pay for 100% more stress. I go to work to enjoy what I do and get a sense of satisfaction which takes my mind off my health

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I don't think anyone said his symptoms are getting worse, just that one of his symptoms hasn't gone yet. Chinese whispers seem to alive and well especially where the press are concerned. They are determined to make it sound as if he is really ill and should step aside. I have no doubt he is taking the advise of his Drs.

Each to his own where illness is concerned.

Drago thrives in inactivity whereas another person might feel much worse doing nothing.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
He needs to watch it. He probably needs to rest. I doubt there is anything particularly macho about it though. Theresa May and Margaret Thatcher would have been the same. You don't get to the top just to hand over the reins of power when a crisis comes along.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don't think anyone said his symptoms are getting worse, just that one of his symptoms hasn't gone yet. Chinese whispers seem to alive and well especially where the press are concerned.

It’s not Chinese whispers, he has just been admitted to intensive care. It had been reported he was getting worse and had trouble breathing.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It’s not Chinese whispers, he has just been admitted to intensive care. It had been reported he was getting worse and had trouble breathing.

Now yes. And as you say " getting worse " now. The why's and when are pure speculation at the moment.

Slick

Guru
It very much depends on the individual. Some people get stressed if they are inactive. They actually like their work and it's good for their mental wellbeing.
Exactly how I feel. There was a time when I just couldn't do my job as it was purely physical but now there is lots to be done sitting at home so for me, being active and feeling useful would aid my recovery.

Top Bottom