I'm American. Ask me anything.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why do Americans call the toilet the bathroom? Do they pee in the bath?
I prefer the word dunny!
Mike in Oz

Drago

Legendary Member
Why do people insist on referring to AR-15's as "assault rifles", when they are not?

Although originally developed as such by Armalite, that company could not afford to get them into full production. The rights were purchased by Colt, who modified the design, and not only is it incapable of full rock 'n' roll fire without being modified (at which point it becomes an M-16), but it has only ever been marketed by Colt for law enforcement or civil/home defence use.

How can detractors have such a lofty opinion about a subject of which they know so little? In any case, we all know my bare hands are far deadlier weapons. So deadly, in fact, that they are too dangerous for cinema audiences and I have to release my films straight to DVD to protect the public.

Yours faithfully,

Steven Seagal.

Why do people insist on referring to AR-15's as "assault rifles", when they are not?

Although originally developed as such by Armalite, that company could not afford to get them into full production. The rights were purchased by Colt, who modified the design, and not only is it incapable of full rock 'n' roll fire without being modified (at which point it becomes an M-16), but it has only ever been marketed by Colt for law enforcement or civil/home defence use.

How can detractors have such a lofty opinion about a subject of which they know so little? In any case, we all know my bare hands are far deadlier weapons. So deadly, in fact, that they are too dangerous for cinema audiences and I have to release my films straight to DVD to protect the public.

Yours faithfully,

Steven Seagal.
NURSE! Get the tranquiliser darts, he thinks he's in a Tom Clancy novel again

Kind regards,
Mikhail Kalashnikov

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Why do Americans call the toilet the bathroom? Do they pee in the bath?

We've done bathrooms, though not bathroom habits.

ktf2bg7.gif

I don’t know that spending a penny in the tub is endemic to the US of A. Gloucestershire Live was confident enough their readers could relate that they ran a story earlier this year (note to the squeamish: the survey was about golden showers). There was even a campaign to go with the flow, initiated by university students who “did the maths” on the savings to be had by going number one in the same place you scrub-a-dub.

A Mumsnetter did her own maths:
I reckon there must be 60l of water in here. My wee would only be about 500 mls. Adding that to the bath is basically homeopathic pee I.e. not pee at all.

Personally I try to hold on till I can make it to the usual place, though a tree will do in a pinch.

QksYT2m.jpg

I prefer the word dunny!
Mike in Oz

Is that what you call lifts down there?

Standish is a rural community between Wigan and Chorley, that's Lancashire, or LA as the yanks call it.

To the layperson this appears to be an assault on semantics.

At any rate, here’s a blog that may be of interest.

How can detractors have such a lofty opinion about a subject of which they know so little?

The answer, my friend, is blowin’ in the wind.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
That's for when they do die during their terms of office nobody notices, apart from the dramatic increase in sensible quotes emerging from the White House administrations.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why are American car engines so massive, yet have such weedy specific outputs? If a European manifacturer released a 5 litre V8 with only 180 BHP then they would deserver to have the country carpet bombed by the RAF.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why can Joe Biden not remember Trump's name and have tomask hismwife under his breath what the presidents name is? It's only a single syllable, with the added bonus of comedy value for being a slang term for a fart, yet Sleepy Joe can't remember it?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Why are American car engines so massive, yet have such weedy specific outputs? If a European manufacturer released a 5 litre V8 with only 180 BHP then they would deserver to have the country carpet bombed by the RAF.
To be fair, that is a slightly outdated view. The ubiquitous Mustang with a 5.0 V8 makes 460-480 bhp in US-market nat-asp mode. Still not a headline-grabbing specific output but a bit more modern. By comparison the Mercedes-AMG 6.3 V8 made 525 bhp, so a slightly lower output-per litre.

But essentially they had no need to go to the costly engineering lengths to drive specific output up as fuel was so cheap and emissions didn't matter. This has probably bitten them in the bum now as the last few times I have been to the US (NY, NJ, IL) the roads are full of 'imports' - European, Japanese and Korean brands dominate. I'm sure in less financially-advanced states the domestic brands still hold sway.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
To be fair, that is a slightly outdated view. The ubiquitous Mustang with a 5.0 V8 makes 460-480 bhp in US-market nat-asp mode. Still not a headline-grabbing specific output but a bit more modern. By comparison the Mercedes-AMG 6.3 V8 made 525 bhp, so a slightly lower output-per litre.

But essentially they had no need to go to the costly engineering lengths to drive specific output up as fuel was so cheap and emissions didn't matter. This has probably bitten them in the bum now as the last few times I have been to the US (NY, NJ, IL) the roads are full of 'imports' - European, Japanese and Korean brands dominate. I'm sure in less financially-advanced states the domestic brands still hold sway.
It's also a sign of how isolationist and insular America has been for a very long time. American goods tend to be lazily designed and poorly made compared to the standards we've come to expect, as an open economy whose weak points get shown up and exploited by foreign competition.

DRM

Guru
Why are American car engines so massive, yet have such weedy specific outputs? If a European manifacturer released a 5 litre V8 with only 180 BHP then they would deserver to have the country carpet bombed by the RAF.
Well we could have nuked them twice, back when the Vulcan was our way of delivering a nuclear warhead, the RAF were involved in a joint exercise to test the air defenses of the US, they were highly embarrassed that one Vulcan managed to get through and could have dropped a nuclear bomb, so after lots of work, planning and testing they were confident it wouldn’t happen again, at the next exercise along came the Vulcans and guess what, one got through the new improved defenses, the US were so shown up they buried the facts about what happened wherever such things get sent to gather cobwebs and never mentioned it again

Top Bottom