I'm American. Ask me anything.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The borders of Austria, Switzerland and Germany arrive with precision at the lakeshore, only to dissolve when they hit the water.

No treaty agreement has ever been reached dividing the lake.
Speaking of Swiss borders, a tv documentary described the ww1 trench system as stretching from the North Sea to the Swiss border. What happened at the Swiss border, did the trenches end in a neat line. Did anyone shoot close to this border?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I give you the HD Electra-glide... a 1920's tractor engine in its crudest form. 130m range doing 33mpg on a good day.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Aluminum....what's that all about? A whole syllable missing...and don't get me started about "color" or "thru", or even worse "math"

Drago

Legendary Member
Well we could have nuked them twice, back when the Vulcan was our way of delivering a nuclear warhead, the RAF were involved in a joint exercise to test the air defenses of the US, they were highly embarrassed that one Vulcan managed to get through and could have dropped a nuclear bomb, so after lots of work, planning and testing they were confident it wouldn’t happen again, at the next exercise along came the Vulcans and guess what, one got through the new improved defenses, the US were so shown up they buried the facts about what happened wherever such things get sent to gather cobwebs and never mentioned it again
That'd be the Vulcan that flew so low it had green marks on its belly from the trees. The tale is is recounted deliciously, yet with a stiff upper lip, in Vulcan 607.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Aluminum....what's that all about?
There's a fascinating history to the name of this element - until the late 19th century pretty much everyone called it aluminium, despite its first name being aluminum. US sources locked on to the -um version and it essentially grew with the growing communications media and stuck. Aluminium is the official name though (as defined by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry), but then if you use that as the arbiter then you have to also go with sulfur. We get to keep caesium though.

C R

Guru
Ah yes, the Harley-Davidson, the most efficient inefficient method known to man to convert petrol to noise!
FTFY

classic33

Leg End Member
How many towns called Springfield are there in the US of A?
"According to the U.S. Geological Survey there are currently 33 populated places named Springfield in 25 U.S. states throughout the United States, including five in Wisconsin; additionally, there are at least 36 Springfield Townships, including 11 in Ohio."

Wiki

Top Bottom