I'm American. Ask me anything.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Americans are well known for there love of powerful cars, usually ones that do more gallons to the mile than vice versa.

Why then do they generally sell really crap fuel? Regular 87 and premium is 91/93. What is that all about?
For the record, I am not American. However, I can answer this one (to some extent).

The octane rating of a fuel is determined using a variable compression test engine run under very specific conditions to induce knock - the test fuel is compared to reference fuel mixtures to determine the "octane number". However the engine can be run in different ways. In the UK we use Research Octane Number (RON) on our fuels - to determine the RON of a fuel the test engine is run with a variable ignition timing, meaning it is more tolerant of knocking. The engine can be run with a fixed ignition timing, which is a harsher test and produces a result called the Motor Octane Number (MON). The MON of a given fuel is always lower than the RON.

In the USA the pump fuel number is actually an average of the RON and MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or sometimes referred to as (RON+MON)/2. Hence US fuel has lower numbers than UK fuel, but isn't necessarily lower quality.

Further, the big, lazy engines common in the US historically were not high compression (hence low power/size ratio) and didn't need a high octane (hence more expensive) fuel.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why are Indians now called native Americans, particularly when they're not native but migrated there via land bridge from Asia thousands of years ago?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Why are Indians now called native Americans, particularly when they're not native but migrated there via land bridge from Asia thousands of years ago?
Well by that criterion, there are no natives anywhere, other than perhaps a few East Africans. However you look at it they're more native to America than they are to India.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I understand many of them refer to themselves as 'First Nationers' or some variation thereof :okay:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Why are your accents so similar, despite some areas being 1000s of miles apart? There might be a noticable difference in accent between Washington and Florida, but to the untrained ear it's not completely different. In contrast, Norwich and Liverpool are only 250 miles apart but the accent is chalk and cheese

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Well by that criterion, there are no natives anywhere, other than perhaps a few East Africans. However you look at it they're more native to America than they are to India.
True. Even the Maori people were technically immigrants to NZ 700+ years ago. But as they were the first recognised settlers, perhaps that should be the deciding factor? But according to Google, the Spanish were the first to settle in the USA. I don't know how true that is though.

Top Bottom