I'm beginning to think it was a stupid idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Stu9

Thanks for that Colin and HL for the links :smile:

I'll have a keek through them, I know it's getting the confidance, it's over 20 years since I've been on the rds on a pushbike, been on a couple on the tracks, but again that was years ago too and only a handfull of times. As I said in another post, it's amazing just how lazy/secure a car makes you feel, then you get on a push/motor bike and it's a diffirent world

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm always amazed when I see cyclists on the main A59 trunk road, tottering along being blown to bits by lorries thundering past when just half a mile away across the fields is the old original road, now B classifed, which may be a little less direct but is certainly safer and more pleasant. When I first started road cycling I used the A road; it never occurred to me to take the older more wiggly road!

I think the problem is that people try to cycle the roads they usually drive on and scare themselves stupid in the process. In most places, you will find alternatives if you look.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

That's like me, it's the only rds I know, but I'll look at Colin and HL's links and see where I can go

StuartG

slower but further
Council!...you having a laugh, all they're good at is robbing and lying
Well my council gave me a free personalised Bikeability instructor and was a great help when I returned to cycling. It was designed to help people on their work or other route so they can gain confidence and do so safely. Other councils may vary ... worth enquiring and if the answer is no - start campaigning!

vickster

Legendary Member
Are there any sky rides you can try up there? Could you put more rugged tyres on the Triban, make it a bit more cx? What were you hoping to get from a roadbike that the MTB didn't give you?

Lanzecki

Über Member
Find a quiet road and get used to the bike there. Road bikes are different to anything else you've ridden before. Twitchy was the way my MTB riding Brother described mine after trying it. A few days later I had to threaten him to get it back.

The point is, don't let it get the better of you, if you keep going in a few months you'll wonder what al the fuss was about. Gte to know your bike, get comfortable, and become one with the bike.

Another option as Vickster suggested was some stronger tyres and turn it into a road bike that can do paths. There are several road tyres that are puncture resistant. Durano Plus's spring to mind.

Steve Saunders

I started off with a hybrid and stuck to the cycle paths around where I live. I soon found myself getting bored of the same limited routes and generally poor state of the paths in places. I then started taking to the roads, and I took to a road I reguarly drive. It was quite busy and it did scare me a bit.

I then made an effort over the next few weeks to stick to the roads, but randomly cycle around loads of the quieter roads in town. This built up my confidence of riding in traffic, dealing with junctions etc. and before long I was back on the road I started off on and didn't give it a second thought. Riding on the roads is all about confidence, especially with taking primary etc. when needed - but I found staying out from the gutter a foot or two made me feel much safer as it gave some room to move over if I saw someone getting too close.

If you just cycle around your local back streets for a few days / week, you'll probably find you`ll wonder what you were worrying about. It's not usually that bad, just the odd one or two nobbers that spoil it - as a motorcyclist though you're sure to have experience of that already though.

The different riding position from a MTB to a road bike is probably making you feel it's a bit twitchy, which wont be helping, but that'll pass fairly quickly.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I agree with the two posters above.

You'll feel safer once you get used to the bike. When I first got my road bike, I found it twitchy and therefore I felt pretty exposed on the roads. I remember being scared to take a hand off the bars to reach my water bottle! Persevere and confidence will come.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe build your confidence up more on the more solid upright MTB on back streets. I don't think you've done loads of riding on that if I recall

Don't give up :smile:

format

Über Member
Council!...you having a laugh, all they're good at is robbing and lying

I'm in South Glasgow and the rds here are generally hellish, well it's not the rds, it's the peanuts on them!. It's me though, I've not got much confidence, it's bad enough when I'm on the bike (motor), but on pedal power, that's a diffirent ball game.

I'll have a think about it, cause I'm the only one out my mates that would use the rds, so that wont help, but as the title says, I begining to think she's right

I stay in Glasgow city center and whilst it can be pretty hairy at times, I've found by and large if you cycle assertively and make plenty of eye contact, it's alright.

Have you considered group rides? I know of at least one where there is a 'no-dropping' rule so you won't be left behind.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm in South Glasgow and the rds here are generally hellish,

Did we not have this conversation before?
So you never sold it?
Well done:thumbsup:
Wanna come with us girls, easy beginners rides around Glasgow?
I am not kidding, you're welcome if you want.
I've got some holidays coming up, could coach you around the south side, show you the quiet roads.

Top Bottom