I'm beginning to think it was a stupid idea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu9

Getting a rd bike, and a new one at that.....it's just to bloody scary out there, well it is for me, and I cant take use it on the many of the tracks I don't think, as they're mainly gravel or dirt....I honestly don't know how this'll work out. I know the night I brought it back, she did "why a rd bike, I doubt you'll use it, I think you've wasted your money".......I hate to say it but I've a feeling she's right

Duckehhh

What's scary, the bike, or the roads

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You may be unlucky where you live, but it is possible in many areas to find quieter roads if you look for them. If you invest in a GPS to navigate by, it is easy to plot and follow routes along obscure lanes that you would never think of driving down unless you lived in a farm at the end of them.

Where do you live?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Just start out going for short rides round the local roads you know well Stu, keeping off the main, fast roads- I don't use the A696 when there's an alternative but even then it's wide enough for everyone to pass- so you build up confidence in yourself and your bike.

[Edit: Colin beat me to it! :thumbsup:]

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Why scary? If you live in a big city then I can understand your feelings but there must be some countryside you can use. ( after all, all towns are built in the country side). Put your bike at the back of your car and drive to somewhere quiet. Problem solved.:thumbsup:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
That sounds like a confidence issue and hopefully with a bit of preparation and experience your confidence will improve.

There's a few areas that you could try with.

First of all, have you had any cycle training like Bikeability? Getting out with an instructor and being coached through the bits of road cycling you feel are dangerous can help massively. Also there are some good tips in the commuting section on this thread - 'Essential Guide for new commuter's', or there's the very good book Cyclecraft which would help.

For building up your confidence with the bike itself then try plotting out some nice low traffic routes online. Find your home on bikehike or similar, and start designing routes down little yellow roads as much as possible if you can, away from the high traffic/speed roads. If you can find a group of people to ride with then even better as then you will be able to take confidence from them.

Of course there's also things you can do with the bike. If you are struggling to see over your shoulder then something like a bike eye mirror may help (if this is a point you are struggling with, then before spending money on kit, get out onto an empty car park and practice this over and over again where there's no hazards or vehicles about).

Also it is possible to fit cross-top levers on drop bars so you can have a much more upright riding position if that feels safer.

Hopefully somewhere in that lot there's something which could help :smile:

You've not done the wrong thing Stu, its just a confidence issue maybe some training would help there, your council may be able to help out.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

Council!...you having a laugh, all they're good at is robbing and lying

I'm in South Glasgow and the rds here are generally hellish, well it's not the rds, it's the peanuts on them!. It's me though, I've not got much confidence, it's bad enough when I'm on the bike (motor), but on pedal power, that's a diffirent ball game.

I'll have a think about it, cause I'm the only one out my mates that would use the rds, so that wont help, but as the title says, I begining to think she's right

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm always amazed when I see cyclists on the main A59 trunk road, tottering along being blown to bits by lorries thundering past when just half a mile away across the fields is the old original road, now B classifed, which may be a little less direct but is certainly safer and more pleasant. When I first started road cycling I used the A road; it never occurred to me to take the older more wiggly road!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm always amazed when I see cyclists on the main A59 trunk road, tottering along being blown to bits by lorries thundering past when just half a mile away across the fields is the old original road, now B classifed, which may be a little less direct but is certainly safer and more pleasant. When I first started road cycling I used the A road; it never occurred to me to take the older more wiggly road!
Strange! My first thought when I got back into cycling was to avoid A-roads wherever possible, so I bought the local OS maps and started exploring as many minor roads as I could. There are not many rural roads round here that I haven't ridden.

Council!...you having a laugh, all they're good at is robbing and lying

I'm in South Glasgow and the rds here are generally hellish, well it's not the rds, it's the peanuts on them!. It's me though, I've not got much confidence, it's bad enough when I'm on the bike (motor), but on pedal power, that's a diffirent ball game.

I'll have a think about it, cause I'm the only one out my mates that would use the rds, so that wont help, but as the title says, I begining to think she's right

IIRC the Bike Station is now in Glasgow and they do Adult Cycle Training, Go Bike may be able to help too.

Top Bottom