'i'm very interested in one of your bikes...'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kedab

Veteran
that was the general gist of the email I sent to my most local Giant store...i asked that, if they hadn't got one already, would they be so kind as to have the particular model i'm interested in shipped to the store in the frame size i'll most likely require, so that i could check it out?

their answer? 'that's model isn't in our stock range plan so, no, we won't get that in for you to check out, we think a member of staff has that model in that size so we might be able to have that in store for you on the day?'

now, i get that there's only so much stock you can hold in any given space but when a customer asks to check out a £2000 product, to check it fits before they purchase it, you'd think the retailer would be all over that...wouldn't you?

initially i misunderstood the reply, i thought they simply weren't stocking the bike at all, so i asked, 'if you're not stocking them, please tell me where i can go to buy one'...their next reply really knocked it out of the park.

'oh, you can buy one from us, just tell us what size you want, give us a 10% non-refundable deposit and we'll order it in for you'

oh right! you want me to give you £200 before you'll get the bike in?! i was a little miffed i can tell you...i'm pretty sure i know what size i need for that frame, i just wanted to be 100%. it is 2k after all...is that too much to ask? clearly it is for Giant...i'd like to say i'll not buy it now but that's not true, i will and most likely from that store but they get pants out of 10 for that customer service...

(as for the bespoke bike i was going to have built, i couldn't justify it in the end and baby is almost here so, i compromised...again) :whistle:

S1mon

i think even evans want a deposit before they will get a certain not in stock bike to try

mattobrien

Guru
Would it be possible to try a bike with identical geometry that they have in stock to tell if the one you want to buy fits?

I can see both sides of the story as the bike shop might be a franchise / not owned by giant and therefore not want to be lumbered with stock they can't easily sell, but equally you don't want to part with a wedge of cash on something you aren't sure is right for you.

Stock management must be an utter nightmare for all local LBS's.

Sara_H

Guru
Massive problem when buying bikes, not being able to test ride or even try a bike for size.

I don't know what the answer is, as I can understand that bike shops are reluctant to have stock that they might not shift.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
from the ribble website:

HORIZONTAL GEOMETRY (Horizontal Top Tube)
Use the formula: Inside leg measurement (cm) x 0.69. The resultant size should be rounded up or down to whichever is the nearest frame size option. If you are in between sizes we recommend you go for the smaller size.

SLOPING GEOMETRY (Sloping Top Tube)
Use the formula: Inside leg measurement (cm) x 0.64. The resultant size and round up or down to the nearest frame size option. If you are in between sizes we recommend you go for the smaller size.

Sara_H

Guru
You might as well buy one online, then if it doesn't fit return it under distance selling regulations.
I've often wondered about this - can you still return it if you've put it together and taken it for a test ride?

swansonj

Guru
i think even evans want a deposit before they will get a certain not in stock bike to try
The Evans deposit is refundable though, or was a few years ago when I got my daughter's bike. It just guarantees that you'll turn up to try the bike and therefore eliminates time wasters.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I though Giant ran a loan/test program where the stores can order a test bike, might have to wait a few weeks. I would try another Giant dealer personally

that was the general gist of the email I sent to my most local Giant store...i asked that, if they hadn't got one already, would they be so kind as to have the particular model i'm interested in shipped to the store in the frame size i'll most likely require, so that i could check it out?

their answer? 'that's model isn't in our stock range plan so, no, we won't get that in for you to check out, we think a member of staff has that model in that size so we might be able to have that in store for you on the day?'

now, i get that there's only so much stock you can hold in any given space but when a customer asks to check out a £2000 product, to check it fits before they purchase it, you'd think the retailer would be all over that...wouldn't you?

initially i misunderstood the reply, i thought they simply weren't stocking the bike at all, so i asked, 'if you're not stocking them, please tell me where i can go to buy one'...their next reply really knocked it out of the park.

'oh, you can buy one from us, just tell us what size you want, give us a 10% non-refundable deposit and we'll order it in for you'

oh right! you want me to give you £200 before you'll get the bike in?! i was a little miffed i can tell you...i'm pretty sure i know what size i need for that frame, i just wanted to be 100%. it is 2k after all...is that too much to ask? clearly it is for Giant...i'd like to say i'll not buy it now but that's not true, i will and most likely from that store but they get pants out of 10 for that customer service...

(as for the bespoke bike i was going to have built, i couldn't justify it in the end and baby is almost here so, i compromised...again) :whistle:

A £2000 bike will cost them - depending on what terms they're on - around £1300. And you want them to order it in on a maybe? You're havin a laugh.

We ask for a non-refundable 50% deposit before we order anything.

akb

Veteran
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. As has been said above, it costs them money to get the bike in for you to try, hence the deposit required for them to get it in for you. Not ideal I know, but LBS struggle as it is without the added costs of bringing a bike in (transport cost and bike fee) for an uncertain buyer.

You say you are certain that you want it, so £200 shouldnt be an issue for you.

Pay the deposit, try the bike for size. Simples.

Top Bottom