'i'm very interested in one of your bikes...'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Obviously there has to be an understanding on both sides. I don't think that any serious buyer would mind putting down a refundable deposit but as I recently experienced most want not only a substantial deposit but also expect it to be NON-REFUNDABLE.

I don't expect a dealer to be substantially out of pocket but neither should a buyer be forced into a buy it or sod off choice.

So if you were running a business selling bikes would you be happy to buy a bike of that value on the off chance that he might buy it and if he doesn't it will just sit there losing money ?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Incidentally did you test ride the Cavendish Venge before choosing to order? Or did you order it based on knowing the geometry from experience on other models in the Venge line?

I purchased the Cav Venge based on my experience of the bike,I never asked to ride it. But to put it into contrast I test rode a Tarmac which was fitted with Zipp 202 wheels before buying my Olympic tarmac..

Although specialized stores understandably don't offer every single bike as a weekend tester my LBS will not ask for a deposit before getting a bike in, they will also let you ride it up the road.... I have also purchased bikes from specialized then changed my mind and returned it the next day and swapped it for another bike without issue.

I'm loyal to my LBS and the brand simply because they are loyal to me.

Mr Haematocrit

So if you were running a business selling bikes would you be happy to buy a bike of that value on the off chance that he might buy it and if he doesn't it will just sit there losing money ?

A bricks and mortar traditional bike shop has only one thing to offer and that is customer service. If you expect me to put a deposit on an item before getting to see it and possibly loose that deposit if I do not want the bike then the wisest thing to do is order online as you can return the goods under distance selling terms... The bike shops not offering a great service imho and yes imho it is the shops responsibility to get the goods in to attract the desired customer base.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
A bricks and mortar traditional bike shop has only one thing to offer and that is customer service. If you expect me to put a deposit on an item before getting to see it and possibly loose that deposit if I do not want the bike then the wisest thing to do is order online as you can return the goods under distance selling terms... The bike shops not offering a great service imho and yes imho it is the shops responsibility to get the goods in to attract the desired customer base.

If you are a big company like evans then getting a bike in isn't that much of a problem as it will soon shift because of the number of stores they have.

I don't know what size the LBS the op is talking about is but I have been trading for over 20 years and I have never ever ordered in an expensive item for a customer on spec and I never will because I would rather like to stay trading rather than sit on a load of expensive stock I cant shift.

Moda

It cuts both ways, would you expect a customer to take a £2000+ punt on a bike?

Surely a mutually beneficial compromise could be reached.

Purely out of interest does anyone know what sort of margins there are on bikes?

Mr Haematocrit

If you are a big company like evans then getting a bike in isn't that much of a problem as it will soon shift because of the number of stores they have.

I don't know what size the LBS the op is talking about is but I have been trading for over 20 years and I have never ever ordered in an expensive item for a customer on spec and I never will because I would rather like to stay trading rather than sit on a load of expensive stock I cant shift.

I totally understand your position and I expect a big company like Evans would get different (bulk) purchase deals from cycle company's.
However I'm simply not willing to be placed in a position to lose money to examine goods before deciding if I want them.
I would like to clarify I support small retailers where possible and use a local grocer, butcher etc rather than a supermarket chain as I feel I get a decent service and products (price matters less if the service is great IMHO) the moment they ask me to put a deposit on my fruit and veg before seeing it they would loose my custom as I feel that as a customer the retailer should be looking after me, not the other way round.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
the moment they asked me to put a deposit on my fruit and veg before seeing it they would loose my custom

Youre not asking to look though , youre asking to take a bite out of it before you buy it .

Mr Haematocrit

Youre not asking to look though , youre asking to take a bite out of it before you buy it .

When I shop for fruit and veg at this time, I do not expect to take a bite... I expect to examine it and feel its ripeness. By asking me for a non refundable deposit I may get presented with a product I do not like or consider ripe... I assume the risk of the business.
Likewise I'm not asking to fall off, or crash a bike... I'm asking to examine it and feel what it rides like.

If I wish to consume either product I would buy it.

Do you think its the responsibility of the consumer to serve the problems and needs of the business?

Moda

I've no idea what bikes they are but I'd have no problem getting a test drive of an expensive BMW or Range Rover (still working on the MP412C) as it's expected.

I can't help but feel that the only winners in this are the chains like Evans that for can small (£25) refundable deposit will get you pretty much any bike you want.

Mr Haematocrit

Try getting a test ride on a brand new £16k MV Augusta........or a £12k zx10r if you think the lbs is unreasonable

I got a test drive of a Carrera and Nissan GTR which are both vehicles in excess of 70k with a REFUNDABLE deposit.
So yes I think the LBS is being unreasonable... Although I think asking for a deposit to ensure no damage occurs is reasonable, making it non-refundable if you do not purchase the bike is not imho
There are lots of retailers which offer test rides and I expect and hope consumers would use them or alternatively save money and shop online as then at least you can return the goods under distance selling terms.
When you have small retailers placing such demands on the customer you start to understand the sorry state of highsteets across the land.

Top Bottom