'i'm very interested in one of your bikes...'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
really? shops could do without my custom because i expect a certain level of customer service? that kind of comment is exactly the sort of reason people think that one level above sh1t is acceptable customer service in this country.

You're happy now and you have what you want. I think the offer by the original store to sort out a ride on a staff member's bike is pretty cool. To my mind, that is customer service in spades.

The idea that a punter went to Evans for their superior customer service is like chopping in a VW for an Alfa to improve reliability.

The main thing is that you're happy with your choice, which you say you are. I'm not sure you sound very happy about it, but as long as you say you are, everyone is happy.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
If somebody left a "deposit" on my bike I'd be well annoyed.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
I wonder who has now lost out. I propose Evans as they have a 3k bike arriving and no buyer. The original LBS has since proved to be correctly cautious. I think Mickle's comments were spot on.
let me help you understand - i had been in touch with an outfit and ON PAPER, put a bike together. the price got a bit too hefty and i bailed. nobody has lost anything but a bit of time. they would not have begun building the bike until i gave them a 50% deposit, which i would have been more than happy to give them. they were excellent and helpful and all the things i hope for in a potential deal being done. i had previously spent upwards of 3k with the Giant store i asked to help me out. i was disappointed they said no. evans have clearly won out because after researching the BMC, checking out the frame sizes against my sizes, i am confident it'll fit. all good - nobody's died.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
You're happy now and you have what you want. I think the offer by the original store to sort out a ride on a staff member's bike is pretty cool. To my mind, that is customer service in spades.

The idea that a punter went to Evans for their superior customer service is like chopping in a VW for an Alfa to improve reliability.

The main thing is that you're happy with your choice, which you say you are. I'm not sure you sound very happy about it, but as long as you say you are, everyone is happy.
what seriously irked me boris was that they weren't interested until i asked them where i could buy one if they weren't stocking them. as soon as i asked that they were able to get one in...providing i give them a non refundable deposit. that's all. a small thing i grant you but it still irked me nonetheless. as for evans v anybody, i'm well aware that online behemoth's don't care a jot about the individual but i do love the bike and the faceless, contactless transaction was made without a crossed word being spoken . which was nice.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
How would you have tried the bespoke bike you talk about?
dude, sorry. i totally misread your original question...ignorant of me! i'd have tried it when they invited me down for a fit - i gave them all the measurements they asked for in a form they sent me.

pauldavid

Veteran
let me help you understand - i had been in touch with an outfit and ON PAPER, put a bike together. the price got a bit too hefty and i bailed. nobody has lost anything but a bit of time. they would not have begun building the bike until i gave them a 50% deposit, which i would have been more than happy to give them. they were excellent and helpful and all the things i hope for in a potential deal being done. i had previously spent upwards of 3k with the Giant store i asked to help me out. i was disappointed they said no. evans have clearly won out because after researching the BMC, checking out the frame sizes against my sizes, i am confident it'll fit. all good - nobody's died.
So have evans actually supplied a bike for to try or have you just researched sizes?

And if this sale has been done without seeing the BMC in the flesh then why could the same not have happened with Giant?

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
So have evans actually supplied a bike for to try or have you just researched sizes?

And if this sale has been done without seeing the BMC in the flesh then why could the same not have happened with Giant?
because giant had lost my custom by that point - BMC have a sizing chart, i know it's not going to be far out. it's also on the evans site. i've paid my money, i've taken my choice. i would have taken that choice with giant, as i had with my two other bikes, if they'd not frustrated me.

RWright

Guru
what seriously irked me boris was that they weren't interested until i asked them where i could buy one if they weren't stocking them. as soon as i asked that they were able to get one in...providing i give them a non refundable deposit. that's all. a small thing i grant you but it still irked me nonetheless. as for evans v anybody, i'm well aware that online behemoth's don't care a jot about the individual but i do love the bike and the faceless, contactless transaction was made without a crossed word being spoken . which was nice.

I might have missed something but it sounds like you still didn't get a test ride. How can you buy without a test ride first? ;)

Sorry for having that go at you but I couldn't resist. I sold motorcycles for quite a while. I dealt with this situation a lot. It was my job to "handle it". :rolleyes: Most of the time but not always it was no, sometimes on used Bikes we had we would but only if we were really comfortable with the person buying, as in knowing them and knowing they could buy. New bikes, especially ones like GSXR 1100's ect. Not gonna happen. They also happened to be limited enough in quantity that we could sell them at full pop anyway. You would be amazed at the number of people that want to "test ride" a bike but when I got down to how they were going to pay for it, I found out a whole lot of them couldn't buy s**t in a bucket, much less what they were wanting to test ride.
It is a difficult situation but it happens every day.

Last edited:

pauldavid

Veteran
because giant had lost my custom by that point - BMC have a sizing chart, i know it's not going to be far out. it's also on the evans site. i've paid my money, i've taken my choice. i would have taken that choice with giant, as i had with my two other bikes, if they'd not frustrated me.
But Giant don't keep the sizes/dimensions of their frames secret. So you could have done exactly the same thing as you've done with Evans from the outset.

They didn't frustrate you, you frustrated yourself when you assumed that because you'd spent money with them before they should offer you treatment that they wouldn't normally. They did offer to try and sort a ride on a bike with identical dimensions for fit purposes which should have sufficed as you are obviously already comfortable with the Giant product.

Good luck with the BMC, I hope it turns out to be as good as the Giant you really wanted.

RWright

Guru
I am not absolutely sure but I don't think it is even legal to take a NONREFUNDABLE deposit on retail items around here. Some retailers might try to make you think it is, but I believe when it comes down to push and shove time a court won't let them do it.

The op just was not handled properly by the Giant sales person IMHO. Some customers have to be handled with kid gloves. In this case it cost the company a sale and it cost the customer an extra grand, still without having ever sat on a bike for size. The sales people at Evans did a better job of slowing things down and taking control of the situation.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Everyone keeps ignoring the fact that Giant do a test ride program, and all Giant dealers have access to this. My understanding is that the dealer has to book the demo bike and Giant deliver to the store and leave it there for a set number of days.

Giant branded stores are just independent, but they get the gear cheaper if it is an all Giant retailer, and I would guess support on the store fitting.

really? shops could do without my custom because i expect a certain level of customer service? that kind of comment is exactly the sort of reason people think that one level above sh1t is acceptable customer service in this country.
Because the level of customer service you expect is unreasonabel and unrealistic. IMO.

I serve tens of retail customers daily. In the last eight months not a single person has objected to paying a 50% deposit.

Linford

Well I went and bought a Topeak bike case for my S3 from my LBS (Cheltenham Cycles) today. Great bunch of people in there, and gave me a discount as they see me now as a regular customer...result :biggrin:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you can't view the item you wish to purchase without paying a 50% deposit (is that returnable if the item doesn't suit, Mickle?), what is the point of using your LBS? Online is quicker, cheaper, offers a far wider choice, and apparently better terms and conditions. Very few shops now offer much in the way of choice - they appear to be brand outlets - all Trek, or all Specialized, or Giant. They appear to be tied to a particular brand. I naively thought that as such they might offer a better service with regard to that brand's range - but in the OP's case apparently not. Returnable deposits, I understand, non-returnable deposits - not good.

Top Bottom