Imagine a world where we don't all have the right to drive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I live in suburban London, little choice ultimately although I do use Waitrose who don’t have shareholders

Do you not sell your produce to supermarkets?

No I sell direct through a veg box scheme + eggs. And before you ask my prices are the same, or below those of the supermarkets

I'm only relatively small, but because I get the profit (not the middleman) I make a living, and can pay above minimum wage.

Very little waste.. Outgrades are recycled through the chickens.. Plus my customers love comedy carrots :smile:

Yes Waitrose aren't so bad.. They do make some effort for their suppliers

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Alexander Winton, a Scottish born bicycle manufacturer who created the the Winton Bicycle Company in Cleveland in 1890.

By that logic we'd all have private aircraft too, the Wright brothers started out making bikes as well. :bicycle:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Environment though innit? Our canvas one gives off cotton dust. A modern one is basically a big plastic bag, which means it gives off micro plastic dust - and also rots in sunlight, which is not ideal for a tent. Ours is at least 30 years old - probably more, I think it's from the 80s, and is still in excellent condition (although I did have to get a couple of repairs done at a local awning maker - think it cost about £30 from memory). It will outlive me, that tent.

Oh yeah, and the other thing about a frame tent is that you can stand up in all of it, and it's warmer than a pvc tent in the cold, and cooler when it's hot. I love it. It's a heavy, awkward beast though, hence the trailer.
Our first PROPER tent was similar. Made by a local, famous tent maker called Stan Evans. It had a big entrance area where we had the cooker and storage rack etc. 2 decent bedrooms. The poles were all steel and folded double with a spring connection. Some of our best, most memorable holidays were in that tent.... wonderful memories.

KneesUp

Guru
Our first PROPER tent was similar. Made by a local, famous tent maker called Stan Evans. It had a big entrance area where we had the cooker and storage rack etc. 2 decent bedrooms. The poles were all steel and folded double with a spring connection. Some of our best, most memorable holidays were in that tent.... wonderful memories.
That's exactly what ours is like. I love the pop out bit for the kitchen.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is there a published list of camping sites neighbouring train stations?
https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=580

classic33

Leg End Member
I wouldn't cry if I woke up tomorrow to find all cars had been removed by Secret government forces. I'd laugh my arriss off at the able bodied but lazy majority as they bluster through a veil of self entitlement, but don't actually do anything to help themselves. Most of them would complain while the ship sank because they're too lazy to swim for it. Well, let 'em.
Why swim to a sinking ship?

I was thinking last night... what if, instead of just buying a provisional licence, buying some driving lessons, then buying a car ...we had to somehow prove that we needed a car.

For example, someone like me who lives in a town, works a mile away from home, is able bodied and doesn't need a car, would be refused a provisional licence and therefore would be unable to take driving lessons or own a car.

Someone like my dad, who lives in a village and can't walk fifty yards without getting out of breath, would be permitted to hold a licence and own a car due to his health.

My brother lives in a town, drives twenty miles to work (40mins), but is able bodied and could use public transport or cycle... but it'd take 2 hours to cycle each way, and public transport isn't 'direct' and would take 1hr40mins each way, so could be permitted a licence in his circumstances.

My sister's a housewife, lives right out in the sticks, on top of a hill. The nearest shop is four miles and public transport (apart from the school bus) is non existent, would be allowed a car.

If my dad's health improved, or my brother got a new job half a mile away from home, or my sister moved down the hill where there's a shop and a bus stop, their right to drive would be reviewed and if it's decided that they no longer needed a car, their licences would be suspended.

Basically, if we want a car, we have to demonstrate that we actually need one. The assessors would be tough. If there's direct public transport, or one is capable of walking/cycling to work, the shop, etc... they'd be refused.

There'd be a lot less cars on the road.
Yeh what utter bliss, I could cycle to work without getting killed

Top Bottom