Imagine a world where we don't all have the right to drive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I wouldn't cry if I woke up tomorrow to find all cars had been removed by Secret government forces. I'd laugh my arriss off at the able bodied but lazy majority as they blister through a veil of self entitlement, but don't actually do anything to help themselves. Most of them would come,ain while the ship sank because they're too lazy to swim for it. Well, let 'em.

We had a scheme whereby most cars would be off the road, it was called British Leyland. :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
Or Jaguar Land Rover! :laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

This is in Cafe, but it's probably too political for it to be here, back in the 60 & 70' most people worked within 10 miles of their home & often had a job for life, with the destruction of British industry that all changed, I've had around 10 jobs & have had to travel to take those, moving home was never a financial option.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
So we either do it now gently and orderly or fight to the death for the last scraps on a ruined planet

So if we make an effort to buy and use services locally, then this could become a reality sooner.

Keeping your money, 'cycling' round in your community, means that community is better off, less carbon guzzling long distance transport..
It's win win.
Shop local for the planet, and people :angel:

steverob

Guru
What happens if you want to go on holiday?
You'd rent one.

Not kidding - my family didn't have a car until I was in my late teens, but whenever we went on holiday (always within the UK) my Dad would hire a car for a week to drive us there. Actually he'd hire it for 8 days, so that he had one more day once we got home in order to get things done he'd been putting off (like taking some heavy things to the tip).

Admittedly we lived in a medium sized town and my Dad's work was only 10 minutes away by bike and my Mum's work was just 15 minutes walk, so it wasn't exactly a hardship, but this was in the 80's/early 90's, long before things like ZipCar were around where you could rent one by the hour.

KneesUp

Guru
How much difference do we have to make, individually? It'd be nice to know.

We got our leccy meter read the other week and even though we use a tumble drier more than we should, we're still massively in credit - which presumably means we use significantly less electricity than people in similar houses - but we use a dishwasher, the kid has an electric oil filled radiator in her room overnight in winter because otherwise she wakes us up, we use the tumble drier, the washer, the tv, computer games, laptops, stereo, lights - what the chuff are other people doing? We don't use the kettle much because neither of us drink tea and we make coffee on the stove - are we doing enough? I swapped our diesel car for petrol a few years ago (buying secondhand so couldn't stretch to hybrid / battery) and our maxim there is buy the smallest car you need and use it as little as you can - is that enough if we all do it? Or do we all need to just stop altogether?

Or is it all about consumption of goods that (probably) have been shipped across the globe?

vickster

Legendary Member
So if we make an effort to buy and use services locally, then this could become a reality sooner.

Keeping your money, 'cycling' round in your community, means that community is better off, less carbon guzzling long distance transport..
It's win win.
Shop local for the planet, and people :angel:
I do shop local. There are 5 full size supermarkets within a mile of my house. There are no farms however.

vickster

Legendary Member
How much difference do we have to make, individually? It'd be nice to know.

We got our leccy meter read the other week and even though we use a tumble drier more than we should, we're still massively in credit - which presumably means we use significantly less electricity than people in similar houses - but we use a dishwasher, the kid has an electric oil filled radiator in her room overnight in winter because otherwise she wakes us up, we use the tumble drier, the washer, the tv, computer games, laptops, stereo, lights - what the chuff are other people doing? We don't use the kettle much because neither of us drink tea and we make coffee on the stove - are we doing enough? I swapped our diesel car for petrol a few years ago (buying secondhand so couldn't stretch to hybrid / battery) and our maxim there is buy the smallest car you need and use it as little as you can - is that enough if we all do it? Or do we all need to just stop altogether?

Or is it all about consumption of goods that (probably) have been shipped across the globe?
Why are you allowing the utility company to stockpile your cash. I pay for what I use monthly with a minimal level of credit

KneesUp

Guru
Why are you allowing the utility company to stockpile your cash. I pay for what I use monthly with a minimal level of credit
Bit off topic - but they only refund excess if they've read the meter themselves, and they generally come without prior warning in the middle of the day, when no-one is in. However, when they came the other week I happened to be in. The refund is being done automatically and the DD is being adjusted.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
...and another thing, if it wasn't for the bicycle the car wouldn't exist. So its all YOUR fault.

Top Bottom