Imagine a world where we don't all have the right to drive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Imagine you live in London and with the sea four metres higher your car has turned into a home for fish.

I know. He's fallen on hard times since he split with Marillion.

KneesUp

Guru
I'm afraid it'll come to the latter, and probably much sooner than we think.
This reminds me of Hancock's line in 'The Lift' - he says something about there being 2 billion Chinese in 20 years, and in the end "we'll all be stood shoulder to shoulder gasping for air. The tallest bloke with the biggest hooter survives" Hancock saw it all coming, and he wanted no part of it. (yes, I know he didn't write the scripts)

vickster

Legendary Member
Which is a big shame on all fronts.
Supermarkets extract a heavy toll on local economies, and from food producers.

All the profit goes to far distant shareholders, a few fairly soulless jobs, available working there.
I live in suburban London, little choice ultimately although I do use Waitrose who don’t have shareholders

Do you not sell your produce to supermarkets?

vickster

Legendary Member
Bit off topic - but they only refund excess if they've read the meter themselves, and they generally come without prior warning in the middle of the day, when no-one is in. However, when they came the other week I happened to be in. The refund is being done automatically and the DD is being adjusted.
I just do monthly meter readings and submit online. Takes 5 minutes

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Errrr isn't Car a shortening of the word Carriage the early versions of which were pulled by horses.

I don't know, its the feckin internet, I can type as much ill researched shite as anyone else, but according to Carlton Reid "The first motorists drove automobiles that were heavily dependant on technologies developed by the cycle industry, an industry at the cutting edge of industrial design..." "...an industry dependant on former or existing cycle entrepreneurs and technicians"

KneesUp

Guru
I just do monthly meter readings and submit online. Takes 5 minutes
I do nothing. Literally takes no time at all.

Admittedly it does mean I've missed out on almost no interest at all on about £300 I've overpaid though. But on the other hand I've got it back without doing anything and at a convenient time to pay for repairs to my car. Which I try to use as little as possible, but after 120k miles the original shock absorbers had started to leak, which I cant' really complain about.

KneesUp

Guru
Get a modern one. The latest 6 birth ones weigh just 1.5 Kg and when packed measure 1.0 mtr x 0.75 mtr and that includes the built in fridge freezer and double oven.
Environment though innit? Our canvas one gives off cotton dust. A modern one is basically a big plastic bag, which means it gives off micro plastic dust - and also rots in sunlight, which is not ideal for a tent. Ours is at least 30 years old - probably more, I think it's from the 80s, and is still in excellent condition (although I did have to get a couple of repairs done at a local awning maker - think it cost about £30 from memory). It will outlive me, that tent.

Oh yeah, and the other thing about a frame tent is that you can stand up in all of it, and it's warmer than a pvc tent in the cold, and cooler when it's hot. I love it. It's a heavy, awkward beast though, hence the trailer.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't know, its the feckin internet, I can type as much ill researched shite as anyone else, but according to Carlton Reid "The first motorists drove automobiles that were heavily dependant on technologies developed by the cycle industry, an industry at the cutting edge of industrial design..." "...an industry dependant on former or existing cycle entrepreneurs and technicians"
240px-Winton_auto_ad_car-1898.jpg

Top Bottom