Imagine a world where we don't all have the right to drive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Ah, the Zil lanes for the Politburo. How about similar lanes for privileged cyclists, while the 4 wheeled proletariat are crammed into tiny single lanes traffic jams? Make driving utterly intolerable and people might not be so inclined to do it.
Do you mean more intolerable than it is now? Give me strength!

Drago

Legendary Member
Damn straight - the Tokyo rule, where if you cant prove you have somewhere off road to park a car you dont get issued the necessary permit to be able to insure one. Those who cant are stuck in tiny Kei cars.

We should have the same rule here, but without the Kei car get out clause. Roads are for travelling along, not for using as vehicle storage. I hate it when people inflict their vehicles kn the rest of us when they're not using them.

Whilst I like the idea (I would wouldn't I? I never owned a car) the idea of having to prove you needed a car sounds a bit totalitarian. I'd prefer a more realistic form of road pricing, so in congested places like cities you pay through the nose to drive a car, and pay double if you're daft enough to drive an SUV.

Alternatively engineer roads so there's no direct route anywhere, remove signposts and have roads randomly stop, turn into muddy tracks or simply fill them full of potholes. Everyone would assume they were cycle lanes and ignore them.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Whilst I like the idea (I would wouldn't I? I never owned a car) the idea of having to prove you needed a car sounds a bit totalitarian. I'd prefer a more realistic form of road pricing, so in congested places like cities you pay through the nose to drive a car, and pay double if you're daft enough to drive an SUV.

Alternatively engineer roads so there's no direct route anywhere, remove signposts and have roads randomly stop, turn into muddy tracks or simply fill them full of potholes. Everyone would assume they were cycle lanes and ignore them.
How long is it you've been in Germany, that's what English roads are like now

KneesUp

Guru
Getting rid of VED and putting the cost on fuel would make more sense. VED is the same if you drive 1 mile or 100,000 a year. Putting that on to fuel deincentivises driving and vehicles that are less efficient are automatically more expensive to run. As would be the case for driving in a congested city rather than a rural environment.

Top Bottom