Imperial ton done!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't forget the extra 2 - they were the ones that almost did for me :ohmy:

This was my one cycling aim for 2013 and finally had a dry(ish) day - last attempt got trunchated by horrid weather

Around 102 miles, and according to Strava...
  • 2,378ft
    Elevation
  • 07:54:31
    Moving Time
    Calories
  • 13.8mi/h
  • Elapsed time of 10:49:57 (we were not shy of stops and had a few lost moments)

Everything hurts today, I am sure spending a while soaking in a hot bath will help! Unfortunately, I had no time to stretch afterwards as I literally ran through the shower, scoffed a bowl of fruit and fibre and then had to drive to Heathrow to collect my bro! Physio will beat all the kinks out on Thursday!

Fuelled by porridge, Soreen, jelly babies, a flapjack, a panini and a couple of skinny lattes

Thanks to jefmcg for her company and route planning! Next time, let's avoid Reading eh ;)

Next challenge, London-Paris, probably in May :smile:
Nice one :thumbsup:
And you've made me feel a bit better about my ride on Sunday, thank you :smile:. Did 102 miles as well, and took 35 minutes longer than you did. It seemed on my ride that everyone else finished about half a day before me:blink:
I think I might have been one of the last people in :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was a bit put out yesterday when a colleague laughed when I said it was nearly 8 hours pedalling time. I thought 13.8 ave was decent over that distance esp as was 30 miles more than done before!

There were only 2 of us so no group advantage either
There's always somebody faster. Well, unless you are a world record holder, there is!

I did my first century at the Manchester 100. They ask riders to take a 30 minute break at the mid-ride stop, so I did, and probably another 15 minutes elsewhere. My overall time was about 6:40, so about 5:55 ride time, which I was happy with until about 10 seconds after crossing the finish line ...

A mate was sunbathing near the finish and he teased me about how long I had taken. "What bloody time do ya call this!", that kind of thing ...

He had finished an hour earlier. The thing is - I had ridden solo for about 4 hours, and shared duties at the front of a small group the rest of the time. My pal had glued himself to the back of a faster bunch and wheelsucked like mad for 100 miles, never once doing a turn at the front! :thumbsdown:

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
There's always somebody faster. Well, unless you are a world record holder, there is!

I did my first century at the Manchester 100. They ask riders to take a 30 minute break at the mid-ride stop, so I did, and probably another 15 minutes elsewhere. My overall time was about 6:40, so about 5:55 ride time, which I was happy with until about 10 seconds after crossing the finish line ...

A mate was sunbathing near the finish and he teased me about how long I had taken. "What bloody time do ya call this!", that kind of thing ...

He had finished an hour earlier. The thing is - I had ridden solo for about 4 hours, and shared duties at the front of a small group the rest of the time. My pal had glued himself to the back of a faster bunch and wheelsucked like mad for 100 miles, never once doing a turn at the front! :thumbsdown:

Wasnt @potsy was it :giggle:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Well we were on the go for 11 hours with plenty of stops, including seeing where we were. Not quite the same as a sportive

Quite a built up route with lights etc. my usual average on a 10-15 mile run is never more than 15mph usually in traffic though

ColinJ

Colin a metric century is a load of old bobbins :headshake:if your going to do a century do 100 miles.
125 miles is only an extra 5% on top of the 20% increase that you were proposing, whereas the step from a metric century to an imperial is nearly 61%!

Because of my well-known recent health problems, I do have the pleasure of building back up to old targets, long since conquered first time round! I am currently only at 50 km, but that was very hilly, so I have a flat 100 km ride planned soon which should be roughly equivalent in terms of effort.

I will be disappointed if I don't get a metric in before the coming winter, and an imperial in spring, 2014. If all goes well, there will then be 200 km, 225 km (Hebden Bridge to Coventry; same in reverse a week later), and 250 km (WYCR) rides to tackle.

I don't want to get into sleep deprivation or long rides in the dark, so anything longer would have to be mid-summer rides at a brisk pace!

ColinJ

Well we were on the go for 11 hours with plenty of stops, including seeing where we were. Not quite the same as a sportive

Quite a built up route with lights etc. my usual average on a 10-15 mile run is never more than 15mph usually in traffic though
I try to avoid traffic where possible, and I find frequent lights a pain. A fine descent on the 50 km ride I mentioned above was spoiled by numerous sets of lights at roadworks.

Anyway, well done all new imperial century riders - I hope to rejoin you in about 6 months time!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
No choice on traffic lights around here. Also often have to contend with queuing traffic, people turning in and out of side roads and frequent motorist muppetry!!

I was a bit put out yesterday when a colleague laughed when I said it was nearly 8 hours pedalling time. I thought 13.8 ave was decent over that distance esp as was 30 miles more than done before!

There were only 2 of us so no group advantage either
I agree with you - that's bloody brilliant. Faster than me. I was miffed to get to the finish and find that they'd shut up shop - luckily the guys who organised it were kind of hanging on for late finishers so I did at least end up with some sort of official finishing time; even if 5 minutes faffing around got added on at least it will show I finished! At one point I'd just thought sod it, I'll go straight back to the car.... but my OH made me go to the finish cos he'd told them to wait!

No group riding for me either - went round by myself. It got kinda lonely at various points, especially when I thought I was lost :cry:

Top Bottom