Important lesson learned the hard way.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elysian_Roads

I'm waiting for this to happen to me... I know it will... at some point but I'm in denial.
Currently it's just me, my bike and phone tucked away in a rear pocket – I'm gambling I could call the missus for an emergency bail-out if needed, however half my cycle is out of phone signal.

I used to ride a fair bit, but after a long break I reckon my sweet spot is also around 21 - 22 mph on flat (not average) over my daily 14 mile get-fit-effort. 6 weeks in now, but go longer at weekends. This week I average around 16.5mph if I'm going for it, but there a couple of evil hills and if there's a head wind that drops average to around 14mph. Slowly getting faster & fitter! My bike (and I) weighs a whole lot too, but I figure it's just better exercise!

// EDIT
By the way, where / how do you all carry your puncture / repair kit? Rear pockets or saddle bag thingy-ma-jig?
A mix of topeak wedge bag and tool bottle.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
By the way, where / how do you all carry your puncture / repair kit? Rear pockets or saddle bag thingy-ma-jig?

As others have said, a Topeak Aero Wedge saddle bag.
Two tubes, tyre levers, instant patches, multi-tool, CO2 adapter and two cartridges all fit easily inside it - I've got one permanently mounted on each bike with that lot inside, along with a frame mounted mini-pump (two bikes have a Topeak Pocket Rocket, the other a Lezyne Carbon Drive Lite which wasn't cheap but is the finest mini-pump I've ever owned).
I used to have one saddle bag and one pump that I transferred between bikes - except I kept forgetting. I got away with it but it was only a matter of time until I got stranded so I sorted out kit for each bike. ^_^

Elysian_Roads

As others have said, a Topeak Aero Wedge saddle bag.
Two tubes, tyre levers, instant patches, multi-tool, CO2 adapter and two cartridges all fit easily inside it - I've got one permanently mounted on each bike with that lot inside, along with a frame mounted mini-pump (two bikes have a Topeak Pocket Rocket, the other a Lezyne Carbon Drive Lite which wasn't cheap but is the finest mini-pump I've ever owned).
I used to have one saddle bag and one pump that I transferred between bikes - except I kept forgetting. I got away with it but it was only a matter of time until I got stranded so I sorted out kit for each bike. ^_^
Also useful to put all of your kit back on the bike after you have completed your post ride clean. Luckily for me it didn't turn into one of those DAMHIKT moments, but did the ride praying I wouldn't need the pump that was left in the shed.....

Stef 1

I've actually got one of those Topeak wedge bags, but never use it... it's just collects dust. Spoilt the look of my new bike when I got it 4 years ago... oh the shame of admitting that!.

I wish I'd got the smaller size (although micro pump wouldn't fit a samller one). I might put a tube and levers in it tonight and try again with it... I've been lucky with punctures so far... nothing major or catasrophic, so guess my time must be coming soon!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

Pump and one tube for me. But then I'll risk it ;-)

However there'll be no pump or tube going past yours on Saturday on my TT. Get a flat and any decent time's gone. Not that I'll have a 'decent time' - I'm first off at 2.01pm as I'm slow atm and my son's off at 2.07 to chase me down. There'll be riders going past Fairburn until about 4pm.

I will keep a lookout and have the Kwik Fit number handy!

Good luck...

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

22mph is pretty quick for a beginner - I am impressed. I can happily ride much more than 30 miles, but I would average somewhere around 12-14mph - but I like to dawdle :smile:

No no Sir, my average yesterday was 15 point something but my point is on the flat 22mph and 82 rpm seems to be for me the equivalent of a golfer's sweet spot.

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

Congratulations on upping the mileage :okay:

Never leave home without a repair kit and the ability to use it! Minimum is a pump and tube (& tyre levers if needed) but I often carry 2 x tubes and a small patch kit, just in case. I have had to use both tubes once (by the time I had repaired one wheel I got ready to set off only to find the other tyre was flat :angry:) but never 2 tubes and a repair, but it is sure to happen one day......

How are you recording your speed and distance? 22mph is really good for a beginner, unless you mean that is your preferred speed once rolling on a flat road (which is still pretty good). If you are getting average speeds of 22mph I suspect the calibration of your bike computer is way off and you might need to adjust the wheel size setting.

Ha ha, if You saw me and I was averaging 22mph I'd be dope tested! You are right, I should say that's my preferred speed. The world flys by and the tyres hum at that speed as long as they remain inflated.

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

I think this has happened to most people at some point. Like @I like Skol I rarely leave home without 2 tubes and a pump, and if I do it's usually just to the shops or something local.

Longer rides, I still carry the same two tubes, but I also carry a patch kit, tyre levers, multitool, CO2 inflator and 3xCartridge. Also worth carrying is a multi tool with a chain breaker (practice using this before you go out) and a spare quick link or two. I've had two chains fail on me when riding, the first time I had to push the bike 4 miles home, the second I just fixed the chain and kept going.

Been to Halfords this evening and will attempt my first rear wheel removal and of course my first tube change with the help of You Tube of course.
I also bought a small top tube bag for future emergencies.

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

I'm waiting for this to happen to me... I know it will... at some point but I'm in denial.
Currently it's just me, my bike and phone tucked away in a rear pocket – I'm gambling I could call the missus for an emergency bail-out if needed, however half my cycle is out of phone signal.

I used to ride a fair bit, but after a long break I reckon my sweet spot is also around 21 - 22 mph on flat (not average) over my daily 14 mile get-fit-effort. 6 weeks in now, but go longer at weekends. This week I average around 16.5mph if I'm going for it, but there a couple of evil hills and if there's a head wind that drops average to around 14mph. Slowly getting faster & fitter! My bike (and I) weighs a whole lot too, but I figure it's just better exercise!

// EDIT

I figured initially if I didn't venture too far from home my pal with a big estate car would always pick me up. The bad news was he was working late!

si_c

Guru
I like the sound of this, can I get a refund at Halfords for the kit I just bought?
I wouldn't, they're £100, and you'll have to pay to get them fitted, if you can find anyone to do it in the first place.

I'd stick to conventional tyres for now, but invest in a track pump with a pressure gauge, I rarely get punctures, but I make sure the tyres have enough air in them in the first place.

I keep all my gubbins in one of these:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-double-frame-bag-black-1l-id_8349817.html

Not fancy schmancy, but does the job well - like stuff from Decathlon generally does. Phone, keys, haribo, spare tube and spare batteries in the left side, multitool, puncture repair kit, spare chain links, a Mr Kipling and a £20 in the right. Plus a topeak pocket rocket on the frame.

Only downside is it's not waterproof, but small ziplock bags does the trick for things that need to stay dry.

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

I wouldn't, they're £100, and you'll have to pay to get them fitted, if you can find anyone to do it in the first place.

I'd stick to conventional tyres for now, but invest in a track pump with a pressure gauge, I rarely get punctures, but I make sure the tyres have enough air in them in the first place.

The pressure mention is is a very good thought for the day. I use a small mini pump (Beto I think) and I find it so difficult to use. I'm going to invest in a track pump today. Should I be aiming for 80 psi on a 25" wheel?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you're getting a track pump I can recommend the Joe Blow Sport (the yellow one). A fine piece of kit and usually on offer somewhere.

As for pressures, the tyre will have min / max pressures marked on the sidewall. Just experiment a bit to see what suits you best. Many people run the rear tyre at a slightly higher pressure than the front but it's what works best for you.

Top Bottom