Important lesson learned the hard way.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
<snip>low and behold my pump would not inflate the tyre........ the pump had failed after its hot action earlier in the day.....<snip>
I had a pump failure, in so far as the screwed bezel in the valve connector screwed its self off as I was riding. Possibly overkill, now on long solo rides I carry a small spare pump in a pannier.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
it happened to me but a bit differently, i had all the tools and a spare tube......

about 10 miles into a ride i got a puncture, yeh no biggy i fixed it and used my new mini pump enough to get on the way again, found the thorn that did it.

20 miles later in the pishing rain when the weather turned i was stuck with another puncture, i thought aye no problem ill just stand here getting cold and soaked next to a busy main road out of edinburgh on a narrow path and whip out my new tube, i got the new tube on the wheel and put it back on the bike, then i went to pump it.....

i had already told 2 guys i was fine who asked if i needed help, low and behold my pump would not inflate the tyre........ the pump had failed after its hot action earlier in the day.....

ended up phoning dad for a lift about 6 or 7 miles from home and had to walk half of that due to the traffic... was a fun ride till my pump failed i keep a bigger one that hasn't failed on my mtb now :smile:

second time i called a lift i was along silveknowes on the mtb i noticed my tyre deflating slowly so i pushed my self a bit longer to try and race against the tyre, i lost and had the tyre half of the wheel and i couldn't see or feel any thing in the failing light, was getting pretty late, so i thought screw it ill put in the spare tube and risk it....

yeh bad choice the new tube started to slowly deflate soon after i pumped it up so i got along to the end of silver knowes before the new tube packed in, then phoned my dad saying i was a dumbass and he came to pick me up, he was really annoyed and i said it's fine i will walk it back but he said son i wouldn't be able to sleep if you done that, then i got a lift back.

dad is awesome for doing that, i would of been fine walking back that distance but he says he would of been up all night worrying meh and i found a massive thorn in my tyre when i went to inspect it :smile:
Yep, always find the reason for the flat or history is doomed to repeat itself! I carry a small set of needle-nosed pliers to get out glass, thorns, etc. that may get embedded in the tires.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Yep, always find the reason for the flat or history is doomed to repeat itself! I carry a small set of needle-nosed pliers to get out glass, thorns, etc. that may get embedded in the tires.

The small set of pliers is a good idea. I've struggled to remove a thorn from a tyre in the warmth of a well lit kitchen - I'd have had no chance in the cold at the roadside without them.

I go out on 30-40 mile rides with nothing if I get a puncture. Basically because I cant get the tyres off (Marathon +). I'm relying on the puncture protection of the tyres and also that they have slime in as well. I'm well aware that 1 day I will be unfortunate and have to rely on a lift home - when that happens I think I will be turning to the Tannus (have not already as they will not fit on the wheels I have on at the minute - so means the £100 tannus will also cost me £250 wheels - absolute madness but I simply cant physically get the tyres off/on). The obvious alternative is go to lower grade puncture protection but that are easier to get on/off but the thought of doing this in the rain/cold etc makes me seriously consider spending nigh on 50% of the bike cost just to make sure I have no punctures...ever

I await the flaming :-)

Randy Butternubs

Über Member

No flaming, but I don't understand how someone can be willing to go out cycling in the cold and wet but be worried about fixing a puncture in said conditions. The start of a cold ride before you warm up is just awful and if someone is happy to put up with that I don't see the problem with a little break while you are still hot. Perhaps I stay hot longer than other people - thermal mass and all that :laugh:

I go out on 30-40 mile rides with nothing if I get a puncture. Basically because I cant get the tyres off (Marathon +). I'm relying on the puncture protection of the tyres and also that they have slime in as well. I'm well aware that 1 day I will be unfortunate and have to rely on a lift home - when that happens I think I will be turning to the Tannus (have not already as they will not fit on the wheels I have on at the minute - so means the £100 tannus will also cost me £250 wheels - absolute madness but I simply cant physically get the tyres off/on). The obvious alternative is go to lower grade puncture protection but that are easier to get on/off but the thought of doing this in the rain/cold etc makes me seriously consider spending nigh on 50% of the bike cost just to make sure I have no punctures...ever

There is an un intentional bonus with the Tannus tyres. You get a big plastic fitting tool with them.

AD636AD0-A229-4BB4-AE23-2FCEC46E5715.jpeg

It’s superb at removing the M+ tyres on my Hybrid as well.:okay:

No flaming, I've struggled with some..............its not a crime!

Have you heard of bead jack tyre levers?

I'm no expert, but I bought one of these as I struggled to get a set of tyres on. There are loads of different types - just google - and I'm not sure if they are effective in getting a tyre off, but you can do your own research. I'd probably start by telephoning SJS.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/var-tyre-levers/

si_c

Guru
I watched a Spa cycles video ages ago where they showed you how to get marathon plus tyres on/off without using any tools. Pretty impressive and it works with any tyre too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why didn't you just shoulder the bike and stick a thumb out? I certainly would and I'm sure that if drivers could see the reason I was hitching they would stop.

When I used to climb, having a climbing rope draped over the rucsac was a sure way to quick lifts.

xzenonuk

Veteran
oh make sure that you're open and used patch glue stuff is still good and you have enough, i need to buy more it would suck to have patches but find out the rubber glue is empty or something lol

gilespargiter

Veteran
Bit of a late post for this thread but I have just been reading throught it.

Seems a great many people have a real struggle with Marathon tyres in particular when it comes to fitting and removing them. It is true that they are stiffer and less resilient to handle than many tyres and I find I do pretty much invariably have to use a tyre lever to remove them. Also very rarely one can come across an undersized tyre and over sized rim combination - but this is very uncommon.

That said it is pretty much entirely down to technique. So; yes, practice in a comfortable non-urgent place if you have difficulty or have'nt tried before.
A good easy to use pump will make things much easier.

Some people have quite strong opinions on where to insert the tyre lever in relation to the valve, however provided the tyre is fully flat and you have pushed the valve in a little so that the tyre bead can slide in to the bottom of the well of the rim, I find it matters not a jot.
I think the most important point that people miss is to get the tyre into the well of the rim before trying to lever it over the edge of the rim. To do this first push the tyre off the step inside the rim all the way round on both sides. This ensures that it is not stuck at all and is free to move.
Then insert a tyre lever and keeping it under slight tension, working from the side opposite it towards it, in both directions push the tyre into the well of the rim, keep it there by maintaining the tyre lever under slight tension. As you do this you will find that the lever comes closer and closer to pulling the tyre bead past the outside of the rim. At this point you can either insert another lever and then lift and pull the tyre away from the rim or just get your fingers under the bead and lift and pull the tyre over the rim. - Hey presto!
Refitting is the reverse of this only don't use a tyre lever - extremely high chance of catching the tube if you do. Can be good to have the tube just very slightly inflated to avoid it being twisted or pinched.

Undue force on the lever can damage the tyre bead and or rim.

Bit of practice and you will soon graduate to motorcycle tyres!

There are some very good you tube clips of this but perhaps the above is a detail that is more difficult to observe.

Top Bottom