Important lesson learned the hard way.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
The pressure mention is is a very good thought for the day. I use a small mini pump (Beto I think) and I find it so difficult to use. I'm going to invest in a track pump today. Should I be aiming for 80 psi on a 25" wheel?
How heavy are you? 80 sounds low unless you’re a lightweight racing snake?

si_c

Guru
I'm 14stone give or take and i run 95 rear 90 front on 25c tyres.

But you definitely need to check the side of the tyre as it will give you a range of pressure to work with.

I wouldn't

Oh you’ve tried them have you? Thought not.

they're £100

And worth every penny.

and you'll have to pay to get them fitted

I’ve fitted both sets myself ( admitted the 25mm ones were trickier than the 28mm ones, but still worth the small amount of effort required)

I'd stick to conventional tyres for now, but invest in a track pump with a pressure gauge, I rarely get punctures, but I make sure the tyres have enough air in them in the first place.

That’s your shout, but I have more than 1 bike, and it’s nice to have a bike with tyres on that I know can’t get punctures, and need sorting roadside, in the cold, dark, wet, horrible months of riding we get in the winter.

No no Sir, my average yesterday was 15 point something but my point is on the flat 22mph and 82 rpm seems to be for me the equivalent of a golfer's sweet spot.
See if you can beg, borrow, buy or steal some power meters. If you record all the relevant data, you can see at which RPM you get your peak power. Then you’ll know for sure.

davidphilips

Veteran
That’s your shout, but I have more than 1 bike, and it’s nice to have a bike with tyres on that I know can’t get punctures, and need sorting roadside, in the cold, dark, wet, horrible months of riding we get in the winter.[/QUOTE]

Thats it, have to say you would make a great sales man, i will have them fitted to my winter bike theres been a few times lately when i just knew if i had a punture i would have been far to cold to sort it out they may cost a bit but perhaps not a lot more than the cost of one 25 mile taxi.

I just cannot believe people go out riding with out the makings of repairing a punture. I know the thought of having to repair a punture will scare a beginner, but why spent good money on a bicycle, then cannnot be bothered to spend a little time learning and practicing repairing a punture or changing a inner tube. I come from a era where a cycle wieght a ton, had rod brakes and no QR, we learnt at a very young age to fix broblems with the Cycle, mainly it involved a big hammer. well you know what kids are like, we also learned to fix a punture without removing the rear wheel ,just pop one side of tyre off, pull out the Inner tube, use your lip to find the punture and run you fingers around the inside of the outer tyre to find the cause..easy peassy. A couple of years ago I come across a guy pushing his bike, back wheel flat and his chain hanging over his handle bars, and no tools, having let him know he was a twat, i fixed his punture and repaired his chain. Grrrrrrrrr.

Redlight

I just cannot believe people go out riding with out the makings of repairing a punture. ... A couple of years ago I come across a guy pushing his bike, back wheel flat and his chain hanging over his handle bars

You'd be surprised. Fewer than 200km into the 2003 Paris-Brest-Paris I encountered an Italian lady by the side of the road, looking dejected. She had suffered a front wheel puncture on a super-lightweight road bike and had NOTHING to help her deal with it. No pump, tubes, tyre levers, anything. On a 1200km event that would have taken her at least 4 other long rides to qualify for. Turns out she usually rode with a group and could always rely on someone else to sort out any problems that she had. In this case she'd dropped off the back of the group and, as it was still dark, they clearly hadn't noticed!

I helped, of course, but even ended up doing the job for her because she obviously didn't have a clue.

OP
OP
Marazzi Mick

Marazzi Mick

I just cannot believe people go out riding with out the makings of repairing a punture. I know the thought of having to repair a punture will scare a beginner, but why spent good money on a bicycle, then cannnot be bothered to spend a little time learning and practicing repairing a punture or changing a inner tube. I come from a era where a cycle wieght a ton, had rod brakes and no QR, we learnt at a very young age to fix broblems with the Cycle, mainly it involved a big hammer. well you know what kids are like, we also learned to fix a punture without removing the rear wheel ,just pop one side of tyre off, pull out the Inner tube, use your lip to find the punture and run you fingers around the inside of the outer tyre to find the cause..easy peassy. A couple of years ago I come across a guy pushing his bike, back wheel flat and his chain hanging over his handle bars, and no tools, having let him know he was a twat, i fixed his punture and repaired his chain. Grrrrrrrrr.

I’m that twat and I’m a bigger twat because my car has no spare only a can of shaving foam stuff that’s no use to man nor beast!

Point taken, tubes and pump now carried.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
25mm Tannus tyres. Punctures will never bother me:okay:

Are they better than the old Green Tyre solid tyres ?

Are they better than the old Green Tyre solid tyres ?
Yes, massively. They actually work, and don’t come off the rims every time you take a corner. These red ones are a new 700cX25 version, which has a lower virtual pressure than the previous 700cX28 and 700cX23 versions as well, so they are more comfortable to ride on.

xzenonuk

Veteran
it happened to me but a bit differently, i had all the tools and a spare tube......

about 10 miles into a ride i got a puncture, yeh no biggy i fixed it and used my new mini pump enough to get on the way again, found the thorn that did it.

20 miles later in the pishing rain when the weather turned i was stuck with another puncture, i thought aye no problem ill just stand here getting cold and soaked next to a busy main road out of edinburgh on a narrow path and whip out my new tube, i got the new tube on the wheel and put it back on the bike, then i went to pump it.....

i had already told 2 guys i was fine who asked if i needed help, low and behold my pump would not inflate the tyre........ the pump had failed after its hot action earlier in the day.....

ended up phoning dad for a lift about 6 or 7 miles from home and had to walk half of that due to the traffic... was a fun ride till my pump failed i keep a bigger one that hasn't failed on my mtb now :smile:

second time i called a lift i was along silveknowes on the mtb i noticed my tyre deflating slowly so i pushed my self a bit longer to try and race against the tyre, i lost and had the tyre half of the wheel and i couldn't see or feel any thing in the failing light, was getting pretty late, so i thought screw it ill put in the spare tube and risk it....

yeh bad choice the new tube started to slowly deflate soon after i pumped it up so i got along to the end of silver knowes before the new tube packed in, then phoned my dad saying i was a dumbass and he came to pick me up, he was really annoyed and i said it's fine i will walk it back but he said son i wouldn't be able to sleep if you done that, then i got a lift back.

dad is awesome for doing that, i would of been fine walking back that distance but he says he would of been up all night worrying meh and i found a massive thorn in my tyre when i went to inspect it :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom