Important lesson learned the hard way.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
it was a stunning evening last night and off I went to try and do my longest ride so far aiming for a 30 mile run.

24 miles in and a very enjoyable ride so far my problem became very apparent - flat tyre!

A 7 mile walk home in cycling shoes is not fun at all so the lesson is clear. Pump, tube and tools every time.

On a more positive note I think 30 miles for me now is very achievable and my sweet spot is 22mph at a cadence of 82 rpm.

Oh and thanks to the guy whoever he was who stopped to see if I was OK as I appeared to be injured after a fall. I explained that if he had walked that far in cycling shoes he would be hobbling too!

davidphilips

Veteran
Hope the next 30 mile cycle goes better , but take at least 2 spare tubes, happy cycling.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Pump and one tube for me. But then I'll risk it ;-)

However there'll be no pump or tube going past yours on Saturday on my TT. Get a flat and any decent time's gone. Not that I'll have a 'decent time' - I'm first off at 2.01pm as I'm slow atm and my son's off at 2.07 to chase me down. There'll be riders going past Fairburn until about 4pm.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Congratulations on upping the mileage :okay:

Never leave home without a repair kit and the ability to use it! Minimum is a pump and tube (& tyre levers if needed) but I often carry 2 x tubes and a small patch kit, just in case. I have had to use both tubes once (by the time I had repaired one wheel I got ready to set off only to find the other tyre was flat :angry:) but never 2 tubes and a repair, but it is sure to happen one day......

How are you recording your speed and distance? 22mph is really good for a beginner, unless you mean that is your preferred speed once rolling on a flat road (which is still pretty good). If you are getting average speeds of 22mph I suspect the calibration of your bike computer is way off and you might need to adjust the wheel size setting.

si_c

Guru
I think this has happened to most people at some point. Like @I like Skol I rarely leave home without 2 tubes and a pump, and if I do it's usually just to the shops or something local.

Longer rides, I still carry the same two tubes, but I also carry a patch kit, tyre levers, multitool, CO2 inflator and 3xCartridge. Also worth carrying is a multi tool with a chain breaker (practice using this before you go out) and a spare quick link or two. I've had two chains fail on me when riding, the first time I had to push the bike 4 miles home, the second I just fixed the chain and kept going.

Stef 1

I'm waiting for this to happen to me... I know it will... at some point but I'm in denial.
Currently it's just me, my bike and phone tucked away in a rear pocket – I'm gambling I could call the missus for an emergency bail-out if needed, however half my cycle is out of phone signal.

I used to ride a fair bit, but after a long break I reckon my sweet spot is also around 21 - 22 mph on flat (not average) over my daily 14 mile get-fit-effort. 6 weeks in now, but go longer at weekends. This week I average around 16.5mph if I'm going for it, but there a couple of evil hills and if there's a head wind that drops average to around 14mph. Slowly getting faster & fitter! My bike (and I) weighs a whole lot too, but I figure it's just better exercise!

// EDIT
By the way, where / how do you all carry your puncture / repair kit? Rear pockets or saddle bag thingy-ma-jig?

Last edited:
U

User6179

By the way, where / how do you all carry your puncture / repair kit? Rear pockets or saddle bag thingy-ma-jig?

Just carry a couple of spare tubes, fix the punctured tube once home.

Wixsteman

Veteran
I carry spare tube and repair kit tyre levers in my saddle bag another tube,small multi tool, and a mini pump in a second water bottle.

I went on 40 mile ride and realised I’d left the lot at home, it was on my mind for the rest of the ride

si_c

Guru
Depends, when commuting I am wearing a rucksack, so I keep a set in that (1xTube, Tyre Lever), but for longer trips sans rucksack I use a Topeak Aero wedge saddle bag, it's got a quick remove clip on it which works really well.

I have the answer.

EC776A70-5CE3-44F1-8711-1BC524291037.jpeg

25mm Tannus tyres. Punctures will never bother me:okay:

Redlight

What I carry depends on my bailout options. On today's ride I knew I would never be more than a mile or so from a train station so all I had were a couple of tubes and the tools to change them. If I think there's the possibility of a long walk back from somewhere then I carry spanners, chain tool, spare tyre*, pincers (for getting stuff out of tyres) and a multitool as well.

*I learned the hard way year ago, 16 miles from St Malo with a ferry to catch, that even relatively new tyres can be rendered unusable if you are unfortunate enough to encounter the wrong kind of road surface.

Top Bottom