In hospital :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

After reading this I have he chatted to my wife and decided that I will pursue paying for physio if what is offered is poor. I can't risk being on a stick for the rest of my life for the sake of an outlay now. Luckily I will be on full pay for a few more months as I had built up to the maximum. Maybe it won't be so bad? But I'm not going to take risks.

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
Have just found this thread and read right through it while eating breakfast. Wow! What a journey! (Bet you wish you could have done it at the speed I just have! ) Good to see you are progressing well and I have to say that listening to everyone's story's seems to sum up the state of the NHS. Staff doing their best with dwindling resources. And can I just say a big high 5 to your missus as she seems to be doing a sterling job of looking after you. As a wife and a cyclist I can empathise on both sides of the coin. Keep healing and treat the healing as a training plan...everything done at the right time for best outcome!

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Thank you. My wife has been amazing. She has a full time job, but has been getting three children up on her own and having to do an extra 22 miles twice a day driving for the child I was bringing to school as well as injecting me (finished thankfully) so I could avoid that unpleasant task etc. etc. She did take a day off from work with absolute exhaustion and even then didn't complain just slept most of the day. She isn't a cyclist but has always supported me.

It has been such a slow journey but I hope in hindsight it's just a blip. I am being quite good at following orders, I really don't want to mess this up!

The support from this community has been wonderful and helped more than I would have imagined.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
@Zeffer I was lucky enough to get physio through Beneden, which I pay for through work, That plus physio paid for privately. Both my wife and wonder what state I would have been in without it .In particular with the scar tissue.
My first NHS physio came through middle of Feb 2016 and that was asked for by my GP in September 2015. In for about half an hour whilst the physio checked what I could and couldn't do. GIven exercises and told come back in 5 weeks. 5 weeks later given more exercises and told come back in 5 weeks. Can't blame physios with NHS funding as it is.
I still have problems standing on the bad leg. Two legs is fine, but for example putting on shoes and putting most of my weight through the bad leg gives me pain when the weight is released. Stairs are also a problem with the bad leg. - Can get pain through my buttock unless I twist my leg. Stops me from standing on the bike pedals for the same reason. Because of this, last time I saw the consultant he said he would discuss with me in August about removing the metal work.

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Thanks for the info. I must admit, the idea of having the metal work removed scares the hell out of me! I guess if I were still in pain it would be by far the lesser of two evils. I hope the Physio works, but they are so stretched as you say.

vickster

Legendary Member
Because you can't simply jump into private physio. You are expected to defray costs by using what is provided on the NHS in the first instance.

Zeffer will probably get 6 physio appointments on the NHS (that seems to be around the norm for a hip in his area). After that, it will over to the private physios if required.
Zeffer isn't claiming as no third party involved. My question was to fossy

Fair enough. I never had any NHS treatment as used Bupa whose costs are part of the claim. I was contacted by a supplier presumably following contact from Leigh Day, however I was already having physio at the hospital which wasn't part of their network as mentioned

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Back from my six week appointment. Seems that the bone is mending slowly but one part is not healing right so I have another six weeks partial weight-bearing. Not the news I wanted at all and feels like back to square one albeit with less pain. But at least he didn't say I need another op or anything like that.
image.png image.png

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Back from my second six week appointment. The good news is that I can now go full weight-bearing. It has been exactly three months so I'm relieved. Apparently the X-ray is the best I could expect after such a serious injury and he was really pleased. In two months I can put real weight on it apparently, e.g. go for a run. I have Physio a week on Friday and I look forward to them helping me get back to normal although it looks like another three months.

image.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
3 months is the target - I was just about let out of hospital at over 6 weeks with my spine - 3 months is where the bones are getting healed.

Good progress. It's bloody frustrating - I'm hoping to be back at work part time from next month (possibly).

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Not allowed back on the bike yet! Probably in three months, but then I have my mind to deal with.

I should be back to work in August. Hope so.

Slow, but getting there.

Thanks for the info. I must admit, the idea of having the metal work removed scares the hell out of me! I guess if I were still in pain it would be by far the lesser of two evils. I hope the Physio works, but they are so stretched as you say.

I'm about 12 months away from being viable for metalwork removal from both ulna and radius. The metal work on the Ulna can be quite uncomfortable, and painful if I bang it. However, due to the location of it, there's a risk of paralysing my hand in surgery. So I'm undecided where I'm going yet.

Lee gg

Does this mean their is a second hand bike going very cheap with shredded lessos leggings also ???? Lol best of luck with your recovery bud.

Top Bottom