In hospital :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

I'm surprised to see your wife taking you back to the scene of the incident. My wife has threatened to smash my fixed gear up, or sell it !! It's still at my parents home.

I don't actually know how she feels about my cycling at the moment! She was certainly supportive of me facing the scene and sorting my head out a bit. Bike still needs cleaning though!

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Your insurer may be interested to hear that.

In turn, they may wish to have a word with the landowner about his drain maintenance regime.

Do you mean cycle insurance? My cycle actually doesn't have a scratch on it. Be good for someone to have a word as lots of cyclists use this route.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Good to see you up and about.
Blue crutches eh? I had to make do with grey ones.
Yep trackie bottoms become your new wardrobe. As @raleighnut says, the seam on jeans is right on the scar. On the positive side, anything you need to drop your keks for can be done in an instant, even if it has taken a lot longer to get where you want to be, to drop 'em. ^_^

If you and Mrs Z are planning a break, give plenty of notice to your destination that your are on crutches. I appreciate the responses I got might not be universal, but I have to say restaurants, airports and hotels both in this country and abroad (Madeira), were very helpful.

Do you mean cycle insurance?
It's possible you could sue the landowner, if your accident could be due to his/her negligence. Might be worth calling an ambulance chaser* and see what they think.

*eg Leigh Day, Slater Gordon.

Edit: definitely report it. http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/hazards/report would be a good place. But call the solicitors first, if you are going to, you don't want someone fixing it before you properly document the condition of the road. I imagine those photos would be enough for someone to judge if you have a case, but certainly not for evidence in court.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Thanks for the advice. I bought the blue crutches myself, they have the ergonomic handles and it makes such a difference. Must send the grey ones back thinking about it!

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Thanks for the ask! Wednesday is my big day. I will be x-rayed and talk to the consultant. If all is well I can go full weight-bearing. Based on a couple of minor accidents, that will probably hurt for a while, however, they will change my physio accordingly to get me walking properly.

My leg has now shrunk considerably so I am looking forward to exercising it again. Currently I am down to two doses of drugs a day, so pain is slowly improving. I am also finding the exercises easier so that's my main measure of progress. It is so slow but seems to be going in the right direction.

Will definitely update on Wednesday, once again, thank you for all the support!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How much NHS physio have you had ? I've been twice for 5-10 minutes at a frequency of one every 3 weeks. Desperate for my consultant to give me the results from my CT Scan so I can get some proper private physio.

OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

How much NHS physio have you had ? I've been twice for 5-10 minutes at a frequency of one every 3 weeks. Desperate for my consultant to give me the results from my CT Scan so I can get some proper private physio.

Since leaving hospital I have had one Physio visit and two nurses, (one took my stitches out). All three visitors checked my exercises and tweaked them. I have had two phone calls as well to check up on my progress, but nothing at all for about four weeks (GP re-did my prescriptions over the phone).

Your experiences are worrying. I have an appointment on Friday assuming all goes well on Wednesday. There is a hospital gym apparently and I'll let you know what they offer me.

fossyant

Good luck. That's poor what you've had already, especially being immobile.

It was also crap after my shoulder decompression. In-patient care is great, but once you are out, you are on your own. All I want is permission to start exercising properly and get physio as the back pain is bad (no painkillers though). I've done loads more than I am supposed to, but I've stuff to do, no-one else will do them, and I need to get fit for work.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good luck. That's poor what you've had already, especially being immobile.

It was also crap after my shoulder decompression. In-patient care is great, but once you are out, you are on your own. All I want is permission to start exercising properly and get physio as the back pain is bad (no painkillers though). I've done loads more than I am supposed to, but I've stuff to do, no-one else will do them, and I need to get fit for work.

Why haven't Leigh Day organised physio for you? They got in touch with me to offer it, but I was already seeing someone at the hospital on Bupa (which wasn't part of the network of the company LD outsourced too at that time). The physio should be able to get in touch with the Consultant's secretary for your notes (assuming Leigh Day haven't already)...if in network, might be quicker to see a physio working at the same private hospital as the Consultant (assuming s/he works privately too)

fossyant

Why haven't Leigh Day organised physio for you? They got in touch with me to offer it, but I was already seeing someone at the hospital on Bupa (which wasn't part of the network of the company LD outsourced too at that time). The physio should be able to get in touch with the Consultant's secretary for your notes (assuming Leigh Day haven't already)...if in network, might be quicker to see a physio working at the same private hospital as the Consultant (assuming s/he works privately too)

They have a case manager, but farkin Admiral have refused but will give me another large interim payment shortly. I can't get private physio until the consultant says remove my TLSO brace and my vertebrae have fused - I need real hands on physio to sort out the soft tissue damage, and they aren't going to do that until we know the unstable fracture is fused.. I'm going to pay for it, but got to wait. The case manager has gone back to Admiral to say 'sort it'. Thing is, in 6 weeks time, Admiral will be paying half my salary as I go to half sick pay. Unfortunately, the NHS runs at a slow pace.

fossyant

My brother-in-law is in motor insurance, and he has said the 'high value' claims against motorists for serious injuries to cyclists has sky rocketed. It's down to more cyclists on the roads, but he says it makes sobering reading.

Top Bottom