In hospital :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had magic inflating 'socks' for my time in hospital - think they were really to stop us escaping as we were wired to a machine.
I asked about that kind of thing. The consultant's reply made sense to me ...

"If you don't already have clots in a leg then something that squeeze the legs to keep the blood moving is a good way to prevent clots forming. If you do have clots in your legs, the last thing you want is to be squeezing them and risking shifting the clots 'downstream' [to heart/lungs/brain] where they can easily cripple or kill you!"

I was never offered compression socks. I asked about those and was told that there is no clear evidence to support their support - ha ha! So, I never wore them while the NHS were monitoring me.

It eventually became clear that my left leg (where the DVT was) is not going to make a full recovery. The damage to the veins is permanent and the leg gets swollen if I stand still for an extended period of time. My left calf is still up to 4 cm bigger than my right.

Lidl had some special offer travel socks so I bought a couple of pairs to see how I got on with them. The moderate compression that they offer does help me. When wearing the socks I no longer have to sit down every 5 minutes to elevate my leg. The socks seem to be on offer about once a year and I pick up another couple of pairs every time. I wear them all day, every day except when sleeping or bathing, or when it is very hot - they are knee-length so a bit much on hot days. Nice in the winter or on cooler days throughout the year though. If you suffer from swollen legs, they might be worth trying?

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Indeed. If you bought it you can dispose of it as you see fit. If provided by the NHS you can't.
Exactly. I would never suggest selling anything from the NHS. I got the impression that the OP's wife has already been out to buy stuff for when he was discharged.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was leant the grabber from my BIL when he had a hip replacement. It was bloody great in hospital - I could open my curtains, grab stuff I dropped and even switch the 'Nurse' call button off when they arrived (usually when I called them when 'Roy' went wandering - the chap with dementia).

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Thanks everyone. Saw the nurse and she has recommended that I keep it raised up during the night and for at least one hour mid afternoon to reduce swelling. Said it would go up whole leg if I don't act. She is looking into the socks.

I had those funny inflators on my legs in hospital. And a mattress that was 'alive' constantly inflating and deflating just as I was ready to sleep!

But being at home has made me realise how long this will take. Small example: I can make a drink in the kitchen but can't carry it anywhere. I was on a 100km bike ride and now I can barely go 10m. Frustrating!

I used an aluminium travel mug which has a top, to carry drinks from the kitchen as we don't have a hostess trolley. Breakfast cereal though was challenging. ^_^ Only really stopped decorating the floor when I progressed to one crutch..

Jaykun85

just read the post sorry to hear you been in hospital, hope that you recover soon. Like all things it takes time but sure you will be back to old self in no time :smile: Made me wary of going out at night in the recent weather as i normally cycle at night when there are no cars about, felt a lot safer. Ill wait till the weathers up abouve freezing now i think .

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I used an aluminium travel mug which has a top, to carry drinks from the kitchen as we don't have a hostess trolley. Breakfast cereal though was challenging. ^_^ Only really stopped decorating the floor when I progressed to one crutch..
I worked out a way to get from the kitchen to the dining room by picking cups, plates, bowls etc and then putting them down, having a hobble and then picking them up again to move em a bit closer til I got there. (I did end up having to put a placemat on my turntable lid cos that was enroute to the table)

Katherine

Guru
OP
OP
Zeffer

Zeffer

Über Member
I am partial weight bearing. 30% apparently. Accidentally put full weight on it earlier as a crutch got caught on a kitchen chair leg. Agony!

Will give the trolley a try. It's my birthday on Friday so need something to treat myself with!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I am partial weight bearing. 30% apparently. Accidentally put full weight on it earlier as a crutch got caught on a kitchen chair leg. Agony!

Will give the trolley a try. It's my birthday on Friday so need something to treat myself with!
You should be OK with the trolley then, I was non-loadbearing for a month after discharge and they wouldn't let me have crutches cos I failed the test (More to do with being 'whacked out' on Morphine and not being able to hop using them, but I did pass my 'stair test the next day. :biggrin:) so I was using 'Zimmer frames' for the first month.

Top Bottom