In other news - total ban?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I know its not a major race in europe, but does this result have implications for a return?
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/jul08/qinghai08/?id=results/qinghai088

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion i don't want any of the cheats racing again. I know its possibly very draconian, but then what purpose would Hamilton coming back serve. Ricco will come back in 2-3 years. Hes' only 24, so could easily come back and win a major tour. I don't think any of the cheats should be allowed to come back!:wacko:

It would send the clearest message, no ambiguity. you cheat, you get banned.

col

Legendary Member
we would end up eventualy with very small numbers still ableto compete,as it seems the tricks to hide what most are using are being rumbled more and more all the time.But i agree in principle.

Keith Oates

Janner
Tough call Steve, but in the case of Hamilton I tend to agree. I think the way he denied the charge, took it to court and lost but still pleads innocent has soured me towards him. However I will never forget the lone breakaway with the broken collarbone, on that day I thought he was tremendous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may be wrong, but my feeling is that using drugs allows the athlete to perform beyond their natural capability and by doing so to develop techniques that they still benefit from afterwards even when they are 'clean'. They are never the 'pre-drug' athlete they were, and thus, to be fair to those who don't take drugs, those who have in the past should be banned for life.

doyler78

beanzontoast said:
I may be wrong, but my feeling is that using drugs allows the athlete to perform beyond their natural capability and by doing so to develop techniques that they still benefit from afterwards even when they are 'clean'. They are never the 'pre-drug' athlete they were, and thus, to be fair to those who don't take drugs, those who have in the past should be banned for life.

I seen that argument used by Steve Backley I think in relation to Dwain Chambers. I don't know of the validity of the argument however if it is true then I think there is an argument for life bans however if it can't be proven then it is a harder call.

I don't think the argument about us having a small group of riders you have never been caught and thus not subject to life bans necessarily holds true because there are guys in many countries who ride very well as amateurs and who could make the jump to pro. It's just we would have to reassess what our expectations are of the riders in an era where doping isn't as prevalent.

yenrod

Steve Austin said:
I know its not a major race in europe, but does this result have implications for a return?
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/jul08/qinghai08/?id=results/qinghai088

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion i don't want any of the cheats racing again. I know its possibly very draconian, but then what purpose would Hamilton coming back serve. Ricco will come back in 2-3 years. Hes' only 24, so could easily come back and win a major tour. I don't think any of the cheats should be allowed to come back!;)

It would send the clearest message, no ambiguity. you cheat, you get banned.

Why not make it 4 or 5yrs...

2 is too lenient.

Smokin Joe said:
I think high profile dopers are effectively finished now. Hamilton and Ricco may well find a jobs when their bans are up, but how many races will their teams be able to ride?

Look at Astana.
Maybe the UCI could set up a parallel series for the teams that ASO won't invite? ;)
But yes, sanctions have to go further than just the penalty applied to the rider.

Top Bottom