In praise of cycling caps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
btw, any Walz fans with a big head I have a plain black one going spare for the price of a virtual beer.
IMAG0928.jpg
Only been worn once in anger and it kept on blowing off.
If you want it post below and I'll do a raffle on April 17.
You will need a big head tho.

This arrived in the post yesterday :becool:

$_12.JPG

The wife refuses to go out with me if I wear it ^_^
View it as your freedom cap.

winjim

Smash the cistern
btw, any Walz fans with a big head I have a plain black one going spare for the price of a virtual beer.
View attachment 124313
Only been worn once in anger and it kept on blowing off.
If you want it post below and I'll do a raffle on April 17.
You will need a big head tho.
How big is big?

I've been meaning to get a cap so I could give it a go. If it's too big I could always re-raffle it. First dibs to anyone with a genuinely big head though.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
A functional item to protect from wind, rain, sun and sweat but an expressive one too. It can be worn jauntily, with determination or even with determined jauntiness to express personality or mood.

There's some fine examples of cap-arrangement in this short film of a Canadian cycle race in the '60s...

https://www.nfb.ca/film/60_cycles_en

The only rotational injury likely when wearing one is a kind of Chinese burn as it swizzles around your noggin (DAMHIKT) and it keeps your tresses in good shape like a hair net.

These small hats look ridiculous of course so it's a mistake to ask non-cyclists, or anyone really: 'How do I look?' At best there'll be a momentary hesitation before the inevitably unconvincing response: 'Umm... fine?'

Instead wear with confidence. No matter how in reality you look you should feel like this:

raleigh-smoke-620x402.jpg

rather than this:
4584498084_pre.jpg

I love a cycling cap.

Great thread, it takes me back. In the good old days, no one wore helmets while training so the cap was your only protection (against the weather). You could show your affinity for a team, country or rider. Wore our caps more than our helmets.

Was thinking of getting the LBS cap lately and it's nearly $20. If I put it under today's helmet it would be largely out of sight, get scanky and wouldn't look crisp. Very few people would know I have a cap unless I wear it out drinking. Unfortunately, it wouldn't mean the same thing over here in the US and some might suspect that I still shave my legs.

Sorry to say, I think this helmet safety business has hurt the cap industry that I liked so much. Thank you all for the pictures.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
How big is big?

I've been meaning to get a cap so I could give it a go. If it's too big I could always re-raffle it. First dibs to anyone with a genuinely big head though.
The label says large/xlarge but i don't know what in cm.
I know I said I'd raffle but happy to post it directly to yourself if you pm an address. Someone with sewing skills could probably adjust to fit but if the cap fits...

Top Bottom