In the saddle or stand for short sprints.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Just trying to improve my technique and wondering what the consensus is on short sprints up gentle slopes. Is sitting in the saddle more effective or standing?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
2016.06.28_can-of-worms-by-jason-crislip-jpeg1.jpg

S-Express

Just trying to improve my technique and wondering what the consensus is on short sprints up gentle slopes. Is sitting in the saddle more effective or standing?

Depends on how fast you are going to start with, and whether there is any need to get up the slope particularly quickly. If you could clarify these points, you might get some sensible replies.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Basically I just want to get some KoM s back and wondered how to improve on quite short not very steep inclines. And I am well aware that KoM is the ultimate misnomer in Norfolk. But most of mine have been on very short, quite shallow inclines and just trying to figure is seated or standing best on such segments. I would already be at c. 25 mph-ish plus before the "hill" generally.

S-Express

Best way to get a Strava Kom back is to wait for a strong tail wind. Other than that, sprinting is all about developing/sustaining high power, so go out and try a few different techniques and see what works best.

Can you "sprint" when sitting down?

Trackies do.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would normally just be cruising at about 30mph when I hot to the bottom of the hill and already be on the 56x11 I would then just lift out of the saddle and power my way over the top, normally cresting at about 43mph, without the headwind it may have been faster.

Then I wake up^_^

If by short you mean something like a sub 30 second effort, standing on the pedals smashing it out all the way, is the way to go. I collect age group KOM's for fun and you can generate a lot more power using your entire body wieght standing. Over 60 seonds then it will need more of a meaured effort IMO and a combination of initial standing sprint folowed by a sitting effort and finally a last standing effort just at the end is what works in my experience.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
If by short you mean something like a sub 30 second effort, standing on the pedals smashing it out all the way, is the way to go. I collect age group KOM's for fun and you can generate a lot more power using your entire body wieght standing. Over 60 seonds then it will need more of a meaured effort IMO and a combination of initial standing sprint folowed by a sitting effort and finally a last standing effort just at the end is what works in my experience.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Thank you. That's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
More seriously tho, when I did fast riding I'd sit if I was trying to build up that bit of strength and stamina but stood if I was just out to go up as fast as possible

Best way to get a Strava Kom back is to wait for a strong tail wind. Other than that, sprinting is all about developing/sustaining high power, so go out and try a few different techniques and see what works best.

Trackies do.
That and take your Garmin off the bars and throw it up the hill, that wouldn't work for the OP though, he lives in Narfolk ;)

For me a find standing up at the lasp gasp is effective but standing up too early uses more energy and only the OP can determine what works best for him.

Top Bottom