In the saddle or stand for short sprints.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think that article is about long hills not short ones, it mentions 400W and seating only being efficient below 75% of VO2 max. If you are going for a 20 second strava KOM you are likely to be smashing out more than 400W and more than 75% Vo2 max.

Slick

Guru
I think that article is about long hills not short ones, it mentions 400W and seating only being efficient below 75% of VO2 max. If you are going for a 20 second strava KOM you are likely to be smashing out more than 400W and more than 75% Vo2 max.
Oh yeah, I forgot he lived in the flatlands. You should get a strava Kom just for finding a hill. :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
044.jpe

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Personally I am rubbish once out of the saddle. Any climbing/sprinting I do is fastest when seated and I am not a poor climber. The exception to this is when setting off from a standstill where I find maximum acceleration is achieved by standing up and using raw torque rather the sitting and trying to change through the gears quick enough to stay in that max power-cadence sweet spot.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Personally I am rubbish once out of the saddle. Any climbing/sprinting I do is fastest when seated and I am not a poor climber. The exception to this is when setting off from a standstill where I find maximum acceleration is achieved by standing up and using raw torque rather the sitting and trying to change through the gears quick enough to stay in that max power-cadence sweet spot.

I am rubbish out of the saddle too, really unfit in that respect, I find about 15 seconds uphill is about my max. Bit more on the flat.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
After a few unpleasant episodes involving slipping chains, my gonads and the top tube, I'm a bit wary of leaving the saddle for more than a few yards.

Top Bottom